Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine >
  • Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

• Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
    I have had nothing but problems with the bobbin on this Bernina and it making an ugly messy on the underneath side of all of my sewing.
    I am thinking about scanning the Sears black Friday adds to see if they may have a Kenmore on sale.
    It is my understanding that Sears got out of the sewing machine business when they parted company with Janome. If you had one you liked, perhaps you can buy another of the same model from ebay or goodwill. Most of the Kenmore's I have were built by Janome. You may find that having two machines is good insurance.
    I would not give up on that Bernina. Most Bernina dealers are good about promoting a positive image of their machines and service. Ask what it would cost to have it serviced and inquire about a few lessons from the place where you take it. Also check with the dealer as to whether the Bernina you have is one of those that offers two different bobbin cases; one for regular sewing, and another designed for free motion and decorative stitching. Have you taken off the plate and cleaned the lint from around the feed dogs? I hope you solve your sewing problem.
    Old 11-27-2014, 10:44 PM

I have a Bernina Artista 200. I have found there are certain threads it does not like. Same goes for my 1975 Bernina Record 830. Coats and Clark made in Mexico pops out of its track every time and make a terrible. mess.
    Old 11-27-2014, 11:05 PM

I have this problem periodically with my bernina . Always when you are in arush. It is the. Machine telling me it needs cleaning and new bobbin and re threading . After all that it works fine. Mine does sometimes take a few attempts to get the front loading bobbin in. It clicks sounds as if in place but when I put the needle down it all jumps out.
    Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 AM

I agree that a bigger machine may not be a better machine! Hopefully a good service will help!
    Old 11-28-2014, 02:48 AM
    Power Poster

BERNINA's are very good machines, find a local dealer and take it in, chances are it is ( operator error) and something simple. Do you have the manual? Sometimes it is simply an error in threading, some lint under the bobbin case, the need of a new needle or a change in thread. Have the machine serviced and ask about an ( owners class- which are often free) to learn the bells & whistles- the machine will probably give you many years of great service once you learn it
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:20 AM

Don't give up on that Bernina! You just have kenmore in your brain and having withdrawls.....I bet you it"s you and your problem is very simple.Use only good thread and bernina bobbins......Take your time and get to know how she can purr.........
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:22 AM

Mom had her machine faithfully every year she took very good care of it. I had it serviced before I brought it home. I have samples of what it is doing and I will take that along with the thread and bobbin/casing in today to the store today. Maybe they can point me in the right direction on why it is doing this.

I am going to pick up some fabric today for my next project, maybe that will make me feel better :0)

For the good news I did finish the binding yesterday!!!
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

I have two Bernina and NEVER had a problem. They do need to be serviced at least every 12 to 18 months. I don't know if you know the last time it had been service. I was told when I bought both of my Bernina to use Mettler silk wrapped thread. It is always wise to keep at least two DSM so when one is in for service, you have a backup.
    Old 11-28-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I have two Berninas. I've only sewn on Berninas for 20 years and I've never had a problem with my tension, even after letting a machine sit for several years. I would have a repairperson look at it before switching to another machine. My machines have given me nothing but top quality stitching on every type of material. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem quickly.
    Ditto - I've had mine for 30 plus years and run it hard and long. Absolutely no problems. Perhaps yours needs a visit to stat care (for Berninas) ??
    Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 AM

I have the 180 and it always makes a beautiful stitch. Try putting in a new needle, preferably a topstitch needle. Re thread with a "good" thread. My machine does not like C & C thread. You could even try a different bobbin. If none of this works, take it to a Bernina shop. That machine should last for years. It just needs a little adjustment.