Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine >
  • Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

• Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

Old 11-30-2014, 01:18 PM

I have used my Bernina Artista for years and have not had a problem with it.(knock on wood), it probably needs servicing.
    Old 11-30-2014, 02:31 PM
    mkc

I'm one of those lone voices who isn't thrilled with her 180. One day the machine just decided to sit there with the display back lit and no other activity and won't fully power up. I was told it was likely one or both circuit board and the cost of diagnosis and repair was prohibitive. The dealer wasn't even sure they could get a replacement board or repair mine.

Michelle
    Old 12-01-2014, 06:03 PM

My Berninas 930 and 1031 aren't happy with some threads. They do fine with Mettler,Gutterman and Aurifil threads. Berninas won't sew well if they are very linty in the bobbin area and under the needle plate.
    When was the last time the needle was changed? I use Schmetz top stitch needles for quilting and binding; universal needles aren't good. Check for burrs on the bobbin and bobbin case, also the needle plate.
    Is the bobbin in the bobbin case correctly? It goes in with the thread going over the top away from you.
    Sharon in Texas
    Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
    That is exactly what it was, a top thread issue. I took the machine and sample to the Bernina dealership and that is exactly what she said. It was either because (1) I didn't thread the upper properly (2) the feed dogs/foot was up when I did it, I didn't know that part so it was totally operator error which I am thankful for

I did leave the machine to have it serviced any way so I do feel better. Thank you everyone for listing to me rant.
    I am so pleased you have found a solution because I couldn't believe that it would be totally the Bernina's fault, sorry but they have such a wonderful reputation, and I am a proud owner of a Bernina 804 and love it but when I first got it had to get used to it being a bit pernickity, I now only use Aurifil threads cos it likes them

Gold stars to the members who noticed that it was the top threading rather than the bobbin, clever clogs