Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sturdy enough? >
  • Sturdy enough?

• Sturdy enough?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 PM

I have several of the folding tables like they used to have in churches. You can find them at used office supply stores very reasonably and they are very sturdy. I have my Bernina on one and I do sew very fast. I've never had problems with bounce. I also FMQ'd a quilt using my Juki 2200 QVP Mini which is a fairly large machine and had no bounce at all.
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
    We are moving locally. Are the 6 or 8 ft. white resin tables sturdy enough for a full-size machine such as a Janome 6600? Would it shake or be bouncy? I currently have my machine on wall-to-wall built-in cabinetry. Many thanks for your input.
    I have an 8 foot table as you described and it does not shake but...... I do have more than just my machine on the table. There is a lamp, other unfinished projects, a stack of layer cakes and so on. These all add just a little weight but in the end, I have liked my purchase. I am considering a second 6 foot table to make an "L" configuration.
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:29 AM

We moved recently and I had to downsize my sewing area. We bought a 2x4 resin table from a box store. I have a quite heavy Janome 6600 sewing machine and it is very solid. We cut the legs (metal) to the appropriate height. My machine is set closer to the right edge for stability and it is very solid and does not bounce. I think there are different quality tables out there but mine only cost $35 dollars. Hubby made me a 2x5 board (which I padded and covered) for my ironing board and that sits to the right of my machine. I lower that to the same height as my sewing machine table. Another table sits to the left of my machine so I have a u-shaped sewing area. Works perfect for me. It would also work to buy 3 of the 2x4 resin tables, cut the legs down to your liking and form the u-shaped area with them. I think the smaller tables are just more sturdy. I just finished FMQ a large queen sized quilt with no problem.
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:06 AM
    Power Poster

I use a small Brother machine on one close to the side and it works. I don't use that machine often - my big one is in a table with place for it to sit flush. also, if you are thinking of using that table for cutting, as others say, it bows in the center and isn't great for that. I got some pieces of leftover cabinet sides from IKEA to put over the table, cutting mat on top of that, and that was a tremendous help. I think anything like that, a piece of board, would work wonders to stabilizing it.
    Old 08-19-2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
    We are moving locally. Are the 6 or 8 ft. white resin tables sturdy enough for a full-size machine such as a Janome 6600? Would it shake or be bouncy? I currently have my machine on wall-to-wall built-in cabinetry. Many thanks for your input.
    It bouncess too much. I don't like them for sewing.
    Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

My accuracy and enjoyment in sewing increased exponentially when I got a dedicated sewing machine table, one made specifically for the job. My machine bed is now level with a large table top, it is the perfect height and I get absolutely no bounce and when I have guests (my sewing room doubles as my guest bedroom) I can recess the machine down into the table and put the table top insert in. Sometimes you can find them used on Craig's list for less than the price of a collapsable table and you just have to go to a window place to have them cut an acrylic insert to fit your machine. I bought mine when I bought my Bernina and they had interest free financing for a year. It was well worth it.
    Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    I have a Pfaff Creative 3.0 on one of these 6 ft folding tables - it works just fine for everyday piecing and even embroidery but if I am in a real hurry and sew very fast I do get some bounce.
    I solved my “bouncy” problem by putting two mouse pads under my machine. It also cut way down on the vibration.
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:36 PM

I have not tried to operate a machine on a resin table, so can't properly answer the question, but I wanted to point out that there are different brands and styles of resin tables. I have one that seems very sturdy and steady. I used it as a cutting table for several years. I would not hesitate to try it for a machine, and the height is adjustable, so that would not be an issue. In fact, as I typed this, it dawned on me that I should try it because the low height setting might very well be more comfortable for me than the table I now use. My chair height is adjustable also, and that is how I have been managing. I have a proper sewing table, but it's up against a wall, so I moved my machine to a wider former kitchen table in order to get more space behind it and to the left, where I put a smaller folding table to help support a quilt. If you are just considering this as a temporary plan until you're settled in the next house, I believe you could get an inexpensive table that would serve well enough. You will be able to tell a lot just from trying to jiggle it. If the legs wobble, pass it by.
    Old 08-19-2018, 04:40 PM

My Singer S16 doesn't bounce on my 8' white table, but my smaller machine does. I really like the table, but it does seem to sag a bit with the heavy machine on it. I placed a tablet under it, about the thickness of a thin magazine, to bring it up to the height that the sew steady needed. Now all is good.
    Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 PM

I bought a table top from Menards and then put 5 height adjustable legs under it. I am happy with it.