Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Style changing? >
  • Style changing?

• Style changing?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM

I use any fabric, but I mostly do scrappy or Crazy Patch types. I have done ones with certain type fabric, but that is because they were ordered & the person want just certain colors & prints. It was nice for a change here & there. :-)
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM
    Cyn

I never met a fabric I didn't learn to like!
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 AM

That's the joy of quilting. There is just so much to do. The possibilities are endless. Who can just stick to one style or type of quilt? If you can, that's great, the rest of us have to keep trying and buying different things. Who knows where the journey will take us...........
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Oh absolutely. When I started, my quilts were pretty traditional. Now I'm finding I like art quilts and more modern looking quilts better. I think it's exposure to new kinds of quilts more than tastes changing. The more I see, the more my taste evolves and matures.
    Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM

I use floral, Americana,and some plaids. I really am getting into batiks for their versatility .
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM

My fabric likes have definately changed over the years. I use to love the small-print calicos back in the 80's. Now, I love the batiks, larger-scaled florals, brights, etc. I'm using up the older fabrics I don't like anymore in scrappy quilts.
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM

I started out quilting with the "Blue" Theory, you know, blue is my favorite color. I have noticed in the last year or so, that I am using WAY mo9re yellows and golds than blues. I think our preference changes with our skills and even our mood. I like being a "Yellow" person now, it feels like summer
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM

You bet! When I started quilting, everything was country blue & pink calicos and solids. Then the geometrics came around along with a limited amount of tone-on-tones. I love the batiks & tonals-such as Moda marbles & fusions. Can't really get into the big, bright fabrics like Kaffe and Amy Butler, but the younger set loves them and that's great!!! Keeps quilting alive!

Style of blocks has changed drastically. When I first began, hand piecing, applique & quilting were the only acceptable methods to make quilts. Very traditional patterns & layouts. Using the machine was only allowed for the first step of sewing the binding on. Now we have machine everything & it's wonderful.

I have gone from pink & blue calico traditional to paper pieced Mariner's Compasses and New York Beauty blocks, along with Celtic applique and an occasional fusible applique using batiks and tonals.

What do you suppose is next?
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM

I love using all colors in my quilts. My main problem is that I am forever attracted to and can't resist buying pinks and I don't know anyone besides me and DGD who would want a pink quilt. LOL.. and we both already have one. I would do a lot more pink in my house but for some reason DH is not in favor. Lol. I get it in where I can.
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have a lot of plaid fabric and I don't like plaids now but it use to be the fabric to buy. Every quilt pattern seemed to have plaid fabric. I'm making rag quilts from the plaids and adding in other fabric that I fell out of love with. The quilts will be used so that's better then having the fabric sitting in a box.
    I do charity quilts and it is often hard to find backing that is masculine so I often using plaids for the backing.