Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • successful class >
  • successful class

• successful class

Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by thrums
    I'm glad you posted your topic here. What pattern did you use?

I've been thinking of teaching a quilt class that could be finished in one session (or perhaps 2). I thought this Easy Starburst pattern might work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grD...em-subs_digest
    Comments?

Readers: Could you suggest other patterns that would work well.

Thanks!

Thrums--I used the MSQC's Big Wonky Star--we made the lap quilt (a good size one) which uses a layer cake plus some yardage. I had them precut their yardage for the star point blocks and suggested they play with the layout of the layer cake ahead of class as that always takes some time. Each participant purchased the BLOCK book through the LQS for the pattern even though it's so simple--but didn't want to run into copyright problems plus there's 9 other relatively simple patterns they could use. The intent with the class was to help the ladies (and one gent) that had been in beginner classes--or even were accomplished piecers--a chance to learn about quilting on a DSM--and this pattern was great for that.

These quilters already knew about 1/4" seams and pressing/not ironing and nesting seams, etc from working on much more difficult sampler blocks in the beginner class. I'm not sure rank beginners coule accomplish a whole lot in a single class.
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by thrums
    I'm glad you posted your topic here. What pattern did you use?

I've been thinking of teaching a quilt class that could be finished in one session (or perhaps 2). I thought this Easy Starburst pattern might work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grD...em-subs_digest
    Comments?

Readers: Could you suggest other patterns that would work well.

Thanks!
    My cousin teaches quilting, so this is second hand info. The beginning quilting classes sometimes attract beginning sewers, as in they don't know how to sew a straight seam or, in some cases, even use their machine. They expect her to show them how to thread it and wind a bobbin. One gal once brought a machine in an unopened box. If you are thinking of a one day beginner's class, make sure that you have some prerequisite skills listed, for instance: familiar with their machine and at least some sewing experience.
    I would also start with a pattern with straight seams. The starburst is one of the patterns where she creates her HSTs with bias edges. Even some experienced quilters have problems keeping these from stretching.
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
    Thrums--I used the MSQC's Big Wonky Star--we made the lap quilt (a good size one) which uses a layer cake plus some yardage. I had them precut their yardage for the star point blocks and suggested they play with the layout of the layer cake ahead of class as that always takes some time. Each participant purchased the BLOCK book through the LQS for the pattern even though it's so simple--but didn't want to run into copyright problems plus there's 9 other relatively simple patterns they could use. The intent with the class was to help the ladies (and one gent) that had been in beginner classes--or even were accomplished piecers--a chance to learn about quilting on a DSM--and this pattern was great for that.

These quilters already knew about 1/4" seams and pressing/not ironing and nesting seams, etc from working on much more difficult sampler blocks in the beginner class. I'm not sure rank beginners could accomplish a whole lot in a single class.
    Thank you so much for your comments. My LQS does sell the Block magazine.

j.
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    My cousin teaches quilting, so this is second hand info. The beginning quilting classes sometimes attract beginning sewers, as in they don't know how to sew a straight seam or, in some cases, even use their machine. They expect her to show them how to thread it and wind a bobbin. One gal once brought a machine in an unopened box. If you are thinking of a one day beginner's class, make sure that you have some prerequisite skills listed, for instance: familiar with their machine and at least some sewing experience.
    I would also start with a pattern with straight seams. The starburst is one of the patterns where she creates her HSTs with bias edges. Even some experienced quilters have problems keeping these from stretching.
    You bring up a good point. Some beginners are from Step 1 and others have a bit more experience. I need to select a pattern that will help more advanced beginners to work on their own, so I can help those with lower skills.

I use best press on my squares and use the two HST sewing method to help reduce cutting errors and reduce handling the bias.
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 AM

You have a good point. HST would be for advanced beginners.

Thanks for the patterns suggestions.
    Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM

You bring up a good point. Some may begin the project, but become disenchanted with the pattern or the process. (I've experienced this.) Rather than have students leave disappointed coming away with "nothing;" providing a secondary pattern to convert block(s) into a small project would be beneficial. Thank!