Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Suggestions for an inexpensive embroidery machine >
  • Suggestions for an inexpensive embroidery machine

• Suggestions for an inexpensive embroidery machine

Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 AM

Look for a Janome 5000 used they run 300.-500. and you can design on computer and send it to the machine and it embs. beautifully.
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 AM

Sherry, I hate to burst your bubble but there are probably copywrite issues with you reproducing the Hospital's name and logo. Unless you spend more money for the machine you wouldn't have anyway to load the design.
    the least expensive way to go might be to find out where the hospital gets the shirts and try to buy the logos from them as a sew on applique. I enquired at a stand in our mall where they will personalize items like hats and shirts for you with embroidery. They charge $.50 per letter if you provide the item.
    Purchasing a machine is just the beginning expense. I have thousands of dollars tied up in stabilizers, thread, additional hoops and of course designs. If you want to download designs the machine has to either be USB accessable or you have to have a converter box like Magic Box. In addition, like everything else computer related the technology is constantly changing and becomeing out dated. The computer I am using right now won't recognize my "Magic Box". That is one reason I was forced to purchase a new embroidry machine that can transfer designs using a usb stick.
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 AM

I had a singer that I paid around $600 for that was awesome (wish I had kept it) ....bought a brother that i got for a lot cheaper and CHEAPER is the word! I hated that machine.
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM

I purchased that same machine on ebay last spring for just over 300.00 new and I love it. Mine only came with a 4" embrodery frame but thats ok for now .I love all the extra features such as speed control,needle threader,thread cutter,needle up or down,etc. Real nice machine for the money.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM

mpspeedy, thanks for the info about copyright. I had already checked on that. The manager that handles the sale of the shirts is having such a hard time with getting orders processed by her vendors that she said if I could do it myself and it look lik it was ordered to go for it! I just can't do them for others and sell them.