Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Suggestions please... >
  • Suggestions please...

• Suggestions please...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM

I think that everything that has been said are all excellent ideas, and I just want to emphasize the "for real" friendly greeting (most of us are smart enough to know when it is fake), gentle help with suggestions (pressure puts me off every time and no two people have the same tastes), and the "go the extra mile attitude". I recently went into a LQS and was really interested in getting to know the shop because they carry the machine and frame that I am thinking of purchasing ($4000.00+) I was looking around and no one spoke to me for the first 20 mins that I was there, not even a Hello or Welcome. I finally approached the clerk and asked about one of the quilts that was hanging in the shop, I really liked the pattern and she told me in no uncertain terms that the displays were there to be looked at and not copied. If I was interested in copying someone elses work I would have to look in a magazine. I asked about a bolt of fabric that only had 1 yard on it and I needed more and another clerk told me that if she was going to order it for me I would have to pay for the whole bolt and then they would refund what I didn't take. I had never heard of this. I thought okay maybe this was just a bad day for the shop and went back a few weeks later and the attitude was the same. I am very very fortunate to have a husband that induldges my habit and I don't have a budget for fabric, I just spend what ever I want whenever I want (usually $100-200 a month). Needless to say I will not be going back to that shop and won't be spending any of my quilting dollars there. Customer service is the main thing for me and something a little different to lure me in.
    Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM

One of our local quilt shops in Bradenton, FL holds Friday night "sew-ins" for about 1/2 of the year. I can't remember the name she gave them, but it is a time when folks can bring their machines, some snacks to share, and work on their projects while making new quilting friends. I haven't done it yet, but plan too once I retire - soon. She also sponsors strip clubs - VERY reasonable prices for the Jelly Rolls, and then she works through the directions with those who attend. She sponsers several other customer centered events each month, and offers a wide array of classes. Her shop has many, many very loyal customers.
    Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Great Customer service will keep them coming back and inviting others to join them.

Treating EVERY customer the same no matter if they spend a thousand dollars at a time or just a few dollars. Some shop owners are a bit snobbish to some customers which hurts them in the short and long run. If you treat customers right they will come back.
    This right here is the most important thing a shop owner and employees there can do! I wholeheartedly agree with QuiltingGrannie.
    Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM

At the risk of repeating what others have said - friendly, helpful salespeople make all the difference! If I am greeted and made to feel welcome, I return often. If not, I rarely make a second visit.
    A wonderful shop in Franklin, NC has free, weekly half hour mini-lessons from 12:15-12:45. The "class" might be a demo of some technique, a quick quilt pattern idea, suggestions as to how to use charm packs, etc. One day they previewed new items in the shop and how to use them. The timing allows quilters to get together for lunch following the lesson - a restaurant in the center has even started offering "quilter's specials" on that day. The classes I have been able to attend, have had anywhere from 25 - 50 people there and many of the quilters have lined up following the class to purchase the materials to make whatever was previewed. It is a fabulous way to get customers into the shop!
    Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM

One of our local shops have a sale on the last business day of the month. If you buy the end of a bolt you get it all for 30% off. It is great for buying backings and just to get that really pretty peice before it is all gone.
    Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
    cka

Originally Posted by ksea
    I think that everything that has been said are all excellent ideas, and I just want to emphasize the "for real" friendly greeting (most of us are smart enough to know when it is fake), gentle help with suggestions (pressure puts me off every time and no two people have the same tastes), and the "go the extra mile attitude". I recently went into a LQS and was really interested in getting to know the shop because they carry the machine and frame that I am thinking of purchasing ($4000.00+) I was looking around and no one spoke to me for the first 20 mins that I was there, not even a Hello or Welcome. I finally approached the clerk and asked about one of the quilts that was hanging in the shop, I really liked the pattern and she told me in no uncertain terms that the displays were there to be looked at and not copied. If I was interested in copying someone elses work I would have to look in a magazine. I asked about a bolt of fabric that only had 1 yard on it and I needed more and another clerk told me that if she was going to order it for me I would have to pay for the whole bolt and then they would refund what I didn't take. I had never heard of this. I thought okay maybe this was just a bad day for the shop and went back a few weeks later and the attitude was the same. I am very very fortunate to have a husband that induldges my habit and I don't have a budget for fabric, I just spend what ever I want whenever I want (usually $100-200 a month). Needless to say I will not be going back to that shop and won't be spending any of my quilting dollars there. Customer service is the main thing for me and something a little different to lure me in.
    This sounds like one of the LQS's I've been to lately. Whatever are they thinking? I was appalled when a similar statement was made. My response was to remind her that customer service and adult discussion are more appropriate. I can find better service and kinder store staff across town.
    Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Free lessons when they buy material from you.
    Old 01-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Free or inexpensive end of roll or scraps. Discounts and sales. I will often go in for these things but always buy other stuff while I am there.
    Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 PM

I have a friend who has a thriving business.She has lots of sit'n stitch groups.One day hand applique,another machine techniques,another bags etc.She also has children's classes which are a great success.
    Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Great Customer service will keep them coming back and inviting others to join them.

Treating EVERY customer the same no matter if they spend a thousand dollars at a time or just a few dollars. Some shop owners are a bit snobbish to some customers which hurts them in the short and long run. If you treat customers right they will come back.
    Wow! QuiltingGrannie - you just described my LQS!
    The owner is quite snobbish and has her "favorites" whom she will walk away from a customer to greet. Her help isn't much better, but her husband on the other hand is a lovely man who treats everyone nice.
    I like to go in when he is there but lately I haven't seen him so I obviously don't shop there much. I would rather drive 1/2 hour out of my way to go to a friendly shop.
    I hope "in the long run" her favorites help her stay in business, because I have heard a lot of people complain about how rude she is to strangers.