Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Suggestions for Quilting Design >
  • Suggestions for Quilting Design

• Suggestions for Quilting Design

Old 09-13-2018, 09:05 AM

I have a quilting plan. I will use the 'Curling Around' pattern from the link in my first post. I will do this in 8 inch size for the shams in the 4 corners and 5 inch in the center of the star. I will SITD for the rails, and maybe FMQ a wavy line in the grey squares and added strips for the shams. For the quilt I will use the 5 inch pattern in all 71 of the white squares, and SITD on the outside of the grey fabric of the fence rails, and continue that thru the 9 patches. I will probably also do the 'Curling Around" pattern in the setting triangles, maybe at an angle, and in the 4 inch size if necessary. Now the question is what thread color to use. I think I will use the Sulky invisible thread for the front of the shams. I will probably use white for the quilting in the white squares, grey thread in the setting triangles, and maybe the Sulky invisible for the SITD (unless it gives me too much trouble). This will require 97 hoopings, plus all the SITD. May take me quite some time, during which the kitchen table is out of commission! Wish me luck. I will share results when I am done.
    Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Love your quilt!
    Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Really like both of your projects.
    Old 09-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Just want to say your top is beautiful, and I wanted to thank you for the link to the quilt designs. I thought they were a little overpriced until I finally realized that what is showing is the price on a CD, but the drop down menu has a lower price for instant download. I think the site owner is probably missing customers by not making that more obvious. Also, I didn't see any statement that says whether these are bean stitches or single run, or what. If they are triple stitched bean stitches it will take an incredible amount of thread and time to do your large quilt, and they tend to make a quilt rather stiff, imo. If you haven't used a design before, start by making a test run or potholder. I learned that the hard way!

In any case, the designs are pretty, and I'm sure whatever you choose will be nice. I can't really offer any suggestion for the 9-patch blocks other than to keep them simple so that the nice patchwork will shine. The white spaces will really show off whatever quilting you do there, as will the setting triangles. I'll look forward to seeing your finished quilt.
    Old 09-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Beautiful quilt and shams. Whatever you choose for quilting, it's going to be superb!
    Old 09-14-2018, 05:24 PM
    Power Poster

All I know is it is beautiful and the shams also. Good luck on the quilting.
    Old 09-15-2018, 06:46 AM

Beautiful quilt! Thanks for the link to another great source of designs I didn't know about. Thank you too for the inspiration for quilting ITH. I'm just beginning to learn this process and it is fun!

What machine and hoop type do you use for the quilting please? Are you using the magnetic hoop? Love to see pics when you are finished. It's going to be gorgeous!
    Old 09-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Rhonda, I use a Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20. I use the normal hoops from Viking. The magnetic hoop is unfortunately not supported by my machine.

Rose, I have several of the patterns from the link. They are single run, and have worked very well. I bought a bunch when they had a sale (by download!). The only problem with their products is that they add a period in the file name, and I have to remove it for my Viking to be able to see the file.

I have finished the shams, and I am part way through the SITD quilting. Slow, and very difficult process as the quilt is very large, and heavy. Haven't started the white squares yet.
    Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Finished! So happy to have this quilt finished! I had some difficulty with the SITD. Should I have used a walking foot rather than a SITD foot? I did the SITD first, then hooped the white squares. Maybe it would have been easier to SITD once the white blocks were quilted? Anyone with experience on the order in which to quilt, please share! Love the quilt pattern in the white squares. The pattern mimics the swirls in the colored fabric very nicely. Wish I had a larger quilting pattern for the setting triangles.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]601669[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]601670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]601671[/ATTACH]

The shams are envelopes. Wish I had added a flange to better frame the stars.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]601672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]601673[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_3393.jpg   img_3395.jpg   img_3394.jpg   img_3361.jpg   img_3360.jpg