Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Suggestions for sewing/embroidery machine >
  • Suggestions for sewing/embroidery machine

• Suggestions for sewing/embroidery machine

Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

Many of the embroidery designs now will not fit in less than a 5 X 7 hoop, so IMHO you would be better off waiting until you can find a machine with that sized and larger hoop. :D:D:D
    Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

I have a sewing machine and an embroidery machine separate. I have the Janome 300E which you can still get. It doesn't connect directly to your computer but you can put designs from your computer onto the card and then put the card in your machine and away you go. The only other feature the 350E has that the 300E does not is the jump thread cutter. I believe my larger hoop is 5 X 7 but this machine has the capability to do larger if you buy the mega hoop. The best things about having the machines separate is that you can sew while your machine is embroidering and if you have to take your emb. machine in for service, you still have your sewing machine that you can play with and vice versa. Check with your dealers and online - the Janome 350E replaces the 300E so you may be able to use that information when making a deal.
    Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM

A few weeks ago I was at Joanns and they had a 1200.00 emb/sew machine on sale for 1000.00 and it had 2 hoops and other extra parts. It was a Husqvarna H 5 00 E . I was just planning when I get one.......
    Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by cindyg
    I have a sewing machine and an embroidery machine separate. I have the Janome 300E which you can still get. It doesn't connect directly to your computer but you can put designs from your computer onto the card and then put the card in your machine and away you go. The only other feature the 350E has that the 300E does not is the jump thread cutter. I believe my larger hoop is 5 X 7 but this machine has the capability to do larger if you buy the mega hoop. The best things about having the machines separate is that you can sew while your machine is embroidering and if you have to take your emb. machine in for service, you still have your sewing machine that you can play with and vice versa. Check with your dealers and online - the Janome 350E replaces the 300E so you may be able to use that information when making a deal.

Thanks Cindy from another Cindy!
    Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 AM

I believe the Singer Quantum Futura CE-250 or 350 will come in at your price range and it will do both. I have the older model CE-200 and I know it does both very well and an older one would definitely be under your budget. My only problem with it is the small "throat" space. Don't even think about trying to roll up a quilt in it. You could do a quilt as you go method, though.