Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Suggestions on Sewing Machine Trolley Bag >
  • Suggestions on Sewing Machine Trolley Bag

• Suggestions on Sewing Machine Trolley Bag

Old 12-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Oops - forgot it's summer in Australia. No end of the season discounts for you right now!
    Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by NoraB
    I'm enjoying this post. I've got a Brother PS1500 and a Bernina 1020. I'm thinking of transporting one or the other to quilt class and quilt sew-ins once/month. I'm torn between taking the older Bernina because if it gets damaged, it might be harder and more costly to fix. I love my Brother, but it's bigger, so would require a larger bag.

What I'd like to know from you all that have transported your machines to and from.......what damage can happen to them in transport? Do you put the needle down, keep it up? Is the danger in driving down the road hitting the bumps or is it rolling thru the parking lot in the ruts?

Any considerations on a bag that will protect better? I've heard the straps keep the machine safer in the tote bag. Is padding in the bag itself something that is important? Should the machine travel in the trunk or on the seat with a seatbelt?

I don't need to take my machine, but it's more fun to have my own to sew on. Just don't want to cause any damage if I can help it. What are the risks and "injuries" you have noticed in your traveling machine?

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom/lessons learned you have. Thanks!
    It sort of depends on what you mean by "transporting". If you just mean taking it to classes, I've done that tons of times without damaging a machine. They aren't made of glass. If you just secure them in the car and drive reasonably, they aren't going to get damaged. Ditto for the parking lot. As long as you don't haul it over any big bumps or roll it into any potholes, you're okay. Normal rolling isn't going to hurt the machine.
    Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 AM

Tutto is the only way I go. They are expensive, but they are protection for your sewing machine. (And how much did you pay for it?). It is an investment.
    Old 12-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Okay you Tutto lovers...you've convinced me! I just finished ordering one on-line from JoAnn fabrics for my Christmas present. They are on-sale and I was able to use a coupon for 20% off total purchase coupon (expires tomorrow 12/10). There is also a "free shipping" on anything over $99, but you can only use one promotion...so I went for the 20% off! Anyway, if anyone is lurking out there, check out JoAnn Fabrics for the size you are looking for.....they are on sale for supposedly 1/2 off. But, use your coupons! I got black...but I'm hoping I'm as pleased as you all are with its function. Your reviews "sold" me! Thanks for your input!
    Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM

Does the Tutto have solid sides? Or is it soft sided?
    Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 PM

It looks like it has soft sides (made of ballistic nylon). There are straps inside to anchor the machine. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it. I ALWAYS get "freaked out" when I purchase something over $100......just a big flaw I have! So, of course, I already have been second guessing myself! But, the ratings look good....some comments are on the wheels. Do any of you Tutto owners have problems with the wheels breaking? Help? What are your experiences? Thanks!
    Old 12-09-2016, 11:28 PM
    Banned

Another vote for thrift store rolling totes. I've found a couple of nice ones along with two square rolling coolers that are the perfect size for my sergers.

Cari
    Old 12-09-2016, 11:29 PM

Wow - you did get a deal. I bought one about 6 years ago and it was about $175.00 and they said that was a discounted price. And when I saw them at a quilt show, the dealer was charging full price. I use it for transporting my bigger machines to have them serviced. I have another rolling bag I got at Joann's. It was on clearance for $39.00 - then was able to use a 50% off coupon (they told me clearance was not the same as being on sale). I use it for my small machines that I take on vacation or to guild or classes.
    Old 12-10-2016, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB
    It looks like it has soft sides (made of ballistic nylon). There are straps inside to anchor the machine. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it. I ALWAYS get "freaked out" when I purchase something over $100......just a big flaw I have! So, of course, I already have been second guessing myself! But, the ratings look good....some comments are on the wheels. Do any of you Tutto owners have problems with the wheels breaking? Help? What are your experiences? Thanks!
    no issues with my wheels. I wonder if they traveled over rough terrain..overloaded the trolley, whatever. Enjoy the Tutto! Mine is apple green.

sandy.
    Old 12-10-2016, 01:40 PM

I have had several Tuttos. I have never had an issue with the fabric. I did break one of the folding pieces of the frame, but they sell replacement parts. What I learned from that is to never pick up the bag at those points. If you lift the frame on the tubing, it works just fine.

One of the owners of a LQS that I used to go to would travel with her FW in a small Tutto. She flew places with it and never had a problem.

I have one for my FW and one that I use for both my Singer 301 and my Janome 8900, since they are similar in size. I switched from the smallest Tutto for my FW to the one made for Sergers (not the soft bag), which works perfectly because I can carry my "tool" bag, a small project (baby quilt size), and my Omnigrid case that holds a 12 x 12 Olfa rotatiing mat, a rotary cutter, scissors, and a 12" Creative grids ruler. Mine are red (XL for Singer/Janome) and purple for FW.