• Main
  • Sulky Invisible Poly Thread? >
  • Sulky Invisible Poly Thread?

• Sulky Invisible Poly Thread?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the information. :)
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Hi...pause....HELP! (lil laugh)

I also am using clear poly thread(coats)Not in the bobbin, just top thread..I am quilting my first quilt and decided that clear poly would work best on the actual quilting(hide any mistakes better lol)...
    Here, let me over explain lol> I am quilting on a new singer (esteem 2)..The holder for the thread lays sideways instead of vertically...The clear poly keeps getting wound/tangled around the part/rod that the actual spool slides down onto, "one either side of the actual spool of thread"(so hard to explain lol)It locks up tight when it does this..Its broken a needle before i realized it was tangled again grr..It seems to lock up/tangle more when starting or finishing a line of stitches it seems..
    My quilting lady at Joann Fabrics as well as a youtube vid suggested I needed a Top Stitch Needle to use with the clear poly, which is what I am using.
    Trouble shooting so far> Cleaned my bobber casing completely, tested the bobber tention, Have my top thread tention between 3-4 ( my book suggest standard setting is at 4), have tried sliding the spool down the holder/rod from either end. No other thread does this..I am at a loss..
    I actually have the next 3 days free to quilt and was so excited to finish it.. Any help/suggestions from anyone would be so appreciated..
    Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 AM

I'm not sure, but maybe try using a "thread net" to secure the thread to your spool before it feeds off. The poly thread falls off the spool so fast and with a horizontal feed, I imagine you need a net....You can get the thread nets at a quilt store......and on line.
    Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Hi wendiq...Thanks for your response...As a newbie, I should know better than not to research my questions first(smile) But, I was so darn frustrated I posted as soon as I joined lol...Since then I have found several threads with great tips addressing this problem ( including your net idea, ty)...I printed them all off and am on my way to trying them all..Wish me luck lol..Have a good one
    Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM

You will find your answer.....you are off to a good start. This is how we have all learned......by having a problem and having to solve it......Let me know how you resolve this...OK? :thumbup:
    Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
    Power Poster

I actually used to set my thread in a glass behind my machine because it needs to sit upright. The new machine has a vertical uptake rod, but the thread I have now keeps jumping the track - what a mess. One of the other gals in class had the same problem and put the net around her thread. I still have to net mine, but I think that will solve the problem.
    Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM

My Juki hates all invisible thread.

My other one loves Sulky Poly (nylon breaks to easily) but I put it on the back thread holder which is vertical. Slides off too fast on the horizontal ones.

If you don't have a vertical thread holder, someone on this forum showed a pic of the one her husband made. Or buy one, but make sure its bottom heavy.
    Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM

So far so good with putting it in the jar behind the machine, no tangles.(crossing fingers for continued luck)Thanks guys