Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sunlight and great view >
  • Sunlight and great view

• Sunlight and great view

Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i have the window light coming from the side. but i also have a gooseneck lamp shining on the needle area. i need lots of light to see what i'm doing.
    My light comes from the east and I can watch a beautiful sunrise when I sew before my day actually starts. I can also see billions and billions of snowflakes in the winter. I have a cover for my sewing machine, I don't leave fabric on my table and right now I am getting ready to sew, watching the sun, already risen, peek its head over the top of the trees, then it slides to the right (south) and that is it! But the beauty of a Minnesota sunrise surpasses everything else! IMHO!!!!!!! Edie
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 AM

I agree with Sizzer Queen. I had my table in front of my window so I could see what was going on and it almost blinded me. The light was too strong. I turned my table sideways so my side is to the window and it works great for me now.
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Florescent lights can also cause damage. I used to have a work room in the basement when I did bed ruffles for a designer. The lights were on much of the time. They faded a signed Linda Stokes print that was given to me. I was just sick about it when I realized what had happened. I don't know if any fabric was affected because it was not left out for long, but my machine was definitely yellowed. I think fabric left on a design wall or stored on open shelving could be in harm's way.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 AM

I have windows on two sides where I sew. When I am not using my machine I make sure the cover is on it. That protects the thread also. I never leave fabric where the sun can directly hit it. My stash is in cupboards with doors on them. I know what the sun can do so I try to protect what is vunerable.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    My window faces north and never gets direct sun, but does get lots of light.
    Same here :thumbup:
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
    I have noticed that many quilters have their sewing machine set up in front of a window. I do too since I love the great light and also I have a beautiful view. But,,,,,I just recently took a class where the teacher cautioned against this. She said that the sunlight will yellow or discolor the back of your machine (or whichever side you have facing the window). It will also dry rot and bleach out the thread and fabric if they are left there for any length of time. Never thought about this before but it does make you stop and wonder. What are your thoughts?
    Mine is in front of a window due to no other place to put it. I don't really care if my machine yellows some; we all change with age anyhow. As for the thread; we are quilters here and how many of us are going to not sew long enough for our threads to change color or rot; not me. It might be different if my machine was just used to mend but mine is going all of the time; I think I'm good.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 AM

I donot have my sewing by a window, I always seem to set up in the basement. It always seem the best place as we live in a small house.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 AM

My sewing room is on the second floor . I also have a great view. my machine is in front of a whole bank of windows. I also love the natural light. When I 'm done I put my beautiful machine cover on the machine, whether i leave the blinds open or not.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 AM

I have two windows right next to my sewing machine, along with a design wall. Ahem, it's a sewing nook and is very small so my machine, windows, and design wall are all on top of eachother. I love the natural light, however I close the blinds for those couple of hours that the sun comes in very strong, and I keep them closed if I'm not working in there. I don't want my machine's electronics to cook, nor do I want the quilt on the wall to fade. This method has worked very well and I've never had any trouble with things fading or deteriorating.
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM

My cuz in PA told me she was up stairs and smelled something like burning. She ran down the stairs and found the magnify glass on her quilting lamp was burning
    thru on her material sitting there. The bright sun was coming in that picture window big time. Good thing she was at home or it could have been a different situation.