Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Superior Threads >
  • Superior Threads

• Superior Threads

Old 04-28-2020, 05:41 AM
    Power Poster

40 wt is way to thick for piecing and rayon thread is mostly used for machine embroidery. Aurifil is 50 wt 2 ply so it's thinner the 50 wt 3 ply which most 50 wt thread is. You have to know the ply not only the weight. Then there is needle size for thread size. One size needle does not fit all threads. Needles not only have size but type. Superior threads has thread and needle education on their website. I like Masterpiece or Aurifil for piecing. I buy pre wound bobbins from Superior, cotton and poly.
    Old 04-28-2020, 05:47 AM

I also use Sew Fine for both piecing and long arm quilting., I use it on top and bottom. I also use Polyestor thread from Connecting Threads for piecing.
    Old 04-28-2020, 07:51 PM

Interesting discussion (I almost said "interesting thread). I'm starting to wonder if thread selection isn't kind of like fishing lure selection. It's been said for years that the huge selection of fishing lures wasn't to catch fish........ but to catch fisherman! LOL

Jim
    Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 AM

Default Newbie and Learning...

Hello, I am new here and to sewing quilts. I was searching for thread and discovered Superior; I was wondering the same thing as KBarm...I did order some basic colors to get started, in the Bottom Line, and also the Sew Creative line. I have been using Dual Duty on my old Singer . I wanted something less linty. Will be following and learning from everyone.

Originally Posted by KBarm
    I purchased Superior thread Bottom Line for use in my bobbin. I sew on 100% cotton and wonder what would be a good top thread for quilt piecing. Botton Line is WT 60, very fine. I generally use a WT 40 thread on top for piecing but wonder if that will create a tension problem. I only use polyester or rayon for piecing and am interested in your recommendation.
    Thank you!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-30-2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: fix quote formatting
    Old 04-30-2020, 07:16 PM

I routinely use 50 wt 3 ply So Fine for all my piecing. For quilting, I use Bottom Line in prewounds (aka Super Bobs) and whatever I feel like on top. My machine takes whatever I throw at it - So Fine, King Tut, Superior and a Yenmet metallics, Floriani, Isacord, YLI, Guterman, Aurifil, etc. Learn to adjust your tension and your world expands.