Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers >
  • Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

• Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

Old 10-20-2015, 03:40 AM

besides Jelly Roll Fabrics online store, where i buy solid fabrics for the backing? the Fabric store.com is getting expensive.
    Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 AM

Because of the prices, that is why I am into making scrappy quilts. Also, I just want to downsize. I feel everyone's pain though.
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:01 AM

I rarely go to the local stores. I am a caregiver and can only get out of the house to run quick errands
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 AM

Yes, MaryKatherine I definitely feel your pain. I am always looking for sales and specials. And perhaps that is why I will buy 'on spec' when I do find a good deal. My DH has worked in the US for years and I love visiting him occasionally (instead of him coming home every weekend) not only for the better prices but also the larger selection.
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:31 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that many times our budget cannot support the LQS due to high prices. And when many use the argument that the quality is better in the LQS, I knew the owner of the LQS in our State that bought bolts of fabric from the local WalMart, marked it up and sold it in her store. It is beautiful fabric.
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:31 AM
    Power Poster

I buy fabric by the bolt at Marshall's Dry Goods. It's never over $3.99 a yard per bolt, most times less then that. It is quilt shop quality, I doubt RJR, SouthSea, Red Rooster, Michael Miller, Riley Blake, etc. make two different quality of fabrics. Quilt shop owners get even more a discount. My two friends and I buy four or five bolts each and then split each bolts between us. Usually 15 yard bolts so we each get five yards of different fabric. The $1 a yard sale table is always piled high. I have found great fabric in that pile. Marshall's sells quilt fabric and craft fabric. I buy name brands as I know they are quilt shop quality.
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:35 AM

Wow, $19 a yard is way too much for flannel. With you being in Canada, I can see how flannel is a needed weight of fabric, I wouldn't be able to support the LQS on this one. Too much is too much.
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:46 AM

...in canada...is everything higher than here in states? Like food, gas, houses, utilities....just wondering......and what exactly boosts that price...your tax to import or USA tax to export or what?
    Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    ...in canada...is everything higher than here in states? Like food, gas, houses, utilities....just wondering......and what exactly boosts that price...your tax to import or USA tax to export or what?
    It's primarily import duties. Fed tax and Provincial tax.
    Admittedly we do have to pay, somehow, for the free medical care, seniors drugs (I really appreciate that one!), Welfare. Any refugees coming in, as in today's situations, ( not sponsored) are generally given medical treatment, housed and fed for a period of time. There is a movement to include basic dental soon. In some areas, the elementary schools at least in Ontario there are vehicles for free eye exams and glasses and dental screening for those identified as unable to pay. ( Some of that is subsidized by community groups like masonic or kinsmen or provincial grants.)
    So that's part of the reason for the price differences on most things.
    And seeing as we just elected a LIBERAL government, we wouldn't have it any other way.
    But it still hurts to pay that much markup for fabric.
    Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 AM

I hear you!! Fabric is so expensive these day....a baby quilt can cost you two hundred on
    the cheap. Maybe people will now stop turning their noses when you give a quilt as a gift.....