Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers >
  • Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

• Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    It is quilt shop quality, I doubt RJR, SouthSea, Red Rooster, Michael Miller, Riley Blake, etc. make two different quality of fabrics.
    I remember reading on an old thread here that there are three tiers of quality with fabric, the first quality fabric going to LQSs, the second to fabric chains like JoAnn's and the third to discount places like Wal-Mart. I don't know if there's any truth to this idea, as I don't see the same fabrics at JoAnn's as I do at my LQS.
    Old 10-20-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I remember reading on an old thread here that there are three tiers of quality with fabric, the first quality fabric going to LQSs, the second to fabric chains like JoAnn's and the third to discount places like Wal-Mart. I don't know if there's any truth to this idea, as I don't see the same fabrics at JoAnn's as I do at my LQS.
    Not sure about that. The material I ordered from Hanncocks of P was the same as what I bought at a jobber.
    Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 AM

I hear ya' loud and clear. I love finding quilt shops when I travel and I buy fabric whenever I'm on a vacation - that's my souvenir for the trip. I also buy fabric at quilt shows & expos, if I can find good deals.

Fabric.com USED to get a TON of money from me, but they've upped their prices and now they don't compete nearly as well. I haven't ordered from them in a long time, and I used to order a fairly good sized box about every other month.

Here in CA we have Beverly's, which is a small chain general craft store, and they have a really good fabric selection that not-quite rivals a dedicated quilt shop. I have 2 of these within close driving distance of my home so if I need good quality fabric on short notice or need more of something I bought online I turn to Beverly's. They are usually about $2-3/yard cheaper than a LQS - fabric selling for $12.99-14.99/yard at a LQS will usually be somewhere between $9.99-11.99 at Beverly's. Unlike Joann's, they carry a lot of the big names - Moda, Kona, Hoffman, Kaufman, etc. They have a pretty big batik section, which I love.

They also have great discounts, they have tables with bolts that are half off, and tables with bolts for $3.95/yard. And there is GOOD stuff on those tables - it's not a bunch of junk, it's mostly just prior season's prints which doesn't bother me a bit. I buy a lot from those tables, especially when I find a bolt of beautiful Hoffman batik on the 3.95 table! MINE ALL MINE!

So Beverly's gets the lion's share of my fabric budget these days.
    Old 10-20-2015, 06:36 AM

I feel, I have to feel the fabric so I do buy local, sometimes LQS , sometime Jo-Anns, sometimes Wal-Mart. Depends on where I can find just the right shade!! I think I would find buying online too nerve wracking LOL!!
    Old 10-20-2015, 08:42 AM

I agree and I think it is rediculous that you guys in Canada have to pay those outrageous shipping costs. Your LQS has the same problem and has to pass that on to you or go out of business. It is a lose lose situation.
    Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
    Not sure about that. The material I ordered from Hanncocks of P was the same as what I bought at a jobber.
    What is a jobber?
    Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 AM

You have to buy fabric from a source that you can afford. I just bought a cheaper fabric from my LQS because the one I really wanted was just too costly. I don't think that the profit on fabric is not all that great here in the USA, and that there is more profit in selling notions.
    Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Amen, Lynnie.
    Originally Posted by lynnie
    I buy from Joanns with a coupon. if I bought LQS, I wouldn't be able to quilt at all.
    Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM

I was just today at our local Fabricland (kinda Joann's). They have Warm & Natural quilt batting on at 50% off. Sadly a queen size is $100.97 ( hey less than ($110.00). So how much do Americans pay for a queen size Warm & Natural batt,
    Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

Some people avoid shopping at/ordering from WalMart on general principles -

However, I have been checking the prices of some quilting/sewing supplies purchased through WalMart.com - and the prices on many items are less than at JoAnn's - even when using a 50% off coupon.

Some items need to be ordered - but I think it is worth a look for things like interfacings and battings.

I am really surprised at how many items are available to order.