Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Surge Protectors >
  • Surge Protectors

• Surge Protectors

Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 AM

According to my hubbie the surge protectors are rated by how much power that is coming in that it would protect against. So if you are in a place that gets alot of power surges and brown out or lighting storms, you would want a higher rated protector. You would also want to do this for any electronic gadget you have.
    Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 AM

According to my hubbie the surge protectors are rated by how much power that is coming in that it would protect against. So if you are in a place that gets alot of power surges and brown out or lighting storms, you would want a higher rated protector. You would also want to do this for any electronic gadget you have.
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 AM

If you have a computerized sewing machine you need a surge protector that not only protects against surges but also low voltage. Low voltage can also be harful to machines. I found one at Staples. You have to look on the box to see if protects against both. The sales person didn't know and told me they didn't have any. I can't remember the price, but it was well under $100.00. If your machine is worth much, that isn't too much to pay to protect it.
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM

We had an electrician come to the house and install a whole house surge protector at the breaker box and he never mentioned that it would break down. Our insurance company recommended it. I also use surge protectors on some things. I don't have a fancy sewing machine so that's not a concern.
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I am using the UPS (uninterruptible power source) that I had for my desktop system. Now I use a laptop so thought I would keep it for my Ellisimo. Where I live, the power is supplied by some little hamsters on exercise wheels and when they take a break, usually once or twice a day, our power flickers or goes out just long enough to have to reset all the clocks!

Also did you know that the surge protectors typically bought (cheaper ones like from Wal-Mart) are usually no good after they have been hit by one surge? That is what I was told by an electrician.
    I also use battery backup systems on each of my machines that allow me 20 minutes after power goes off to shut down. Also I unplug my machines when not in use just in case. I also have heard that the surge protectors are good for one time only. Not so with the battery backup systems.
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Let me see if I have this right. Your entire house or building needs to be properly grounded or you are simply out of luck regardless of what protection you have within the structure. Is that correct?
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 AM

oh, yes, I m w/u on this. I too live where hamsters supply electricity, and in the country they had to put a main box in our yard (I could have a small town on my property tapping this box, lol). we had 2 computers fried thru the surge protectors. (phone line connection!) our ins didnt cover for phone line surges - which no one explained until I went for the 3rd replacement and the guy at the store explained it, and then, again, a direct lightening strike took out another. The safest way is to unplug anything you dont want to replace, unplug before you go on vacation, and even, in a bad storm, dont be sewing at a machine - cut out or do hand work, lol. share t
    Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 AM

Thank you, Westom!!!
    Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    Surge protectors protects the items plugged into it by absorbing the electrical surge, especially when your power goes out and then comes right back on. They are rated by the amount of surge they can absorb that is why you have various "joles" (pronounced jewels) The USUALLY have some type of insurance with them. This will be printed on the box. Not all power surges will trip your electric breakers. They also help protect from LOW AMP DRAWS.

A low amp draw is when your power "dims" down when something comes on and then returns to normal. Your surge protector will "store" some energy so when the power goes down your items will remain the same. Electronic items are damaged more from a low amp draw than a power surge.

When using a surge protector, the items that require more power should be plugged in nearest the power source, where the power cord comes into the protector. Be watchful of WHAT is plugged into the protector. If you have a sewing machine plugged into the protector, don't plug your iron into the same strip. Irons are power hungry items just look at the wattage of the iron. Irons are usually 1000 watts and up. Usually when the iron kicks on to heat, power to the other items is compromised. This can cause damage to circuit boards in other items. Also, because of the wattage of an iron, it is better to be plugged directly into the wall and preferably into another socket than the protector.

It is also a good idea to replace the surge protector every 12 to 18 months. They do wear down. There are constant surge and low amp draws in electricity. These may not be enough to trip your breakers but can be enough to damage other things not protected. Good example of this fact is a light bulb.

Since we are on this subject, please review your home owners or content insurance. The insurance with the protector is not much so don't depend on that. Talk to your insurance agent. Most insurance policies put a "cap" on the amount to be paid for certain items. Today sewing machines go into several thousand dollars but your insurance policy may only pay $150 because of the "cap". You may be thinking you don't want to pay out more money for insurance but believe me when I say it is money well spent. You may say you have "replacement insurance" which is great but they still have a "cap" on payout! Whenever you buy additional equipment be sure to talk to your insurance carrier to make sure it will be covered as well.
    I live in the suburbs outside Orlando, FL on several acres on a huge lake. I swear there is a sign stamped on my property that says "Lightening strike here." In the fifty years we have lived here, we have had a number of trees hit. The tall pines draws the strike.

My son is an EE and his advice is ALWAYS unplug your expensive appliances. Also there is one other concern. If you have a house constructed on the ground as most in FL are, lightening will travel down a tree, hit the ground and depending on how close to the house, also travel thru the ground into your floors. Your foot pedals sitting on terrazzo, which we have is and excellent conductor and will hit the pedal.

He says surge protectors are fine for many uses but when you are dealing with $$$$$$$$s, don't guess.
    Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    Surge protectors protects the items plugged into it by absorbing the electrical surge, especially when your power goes out and then comes right back on. They are rated by the amount of surge they can absorb that is why you have various "joles" (pronounced jewels) The USUALLY have some type of insurance with them. This will be printed on the box. Not all power surges will trip your electric breakers. They also help protect from LOW AMP DRAWS.

A low amp draw is when your power "dims" down when something comes on and then returns to normal. Your surge protector will "store" some energy so when the power goes down your items will remain the same. Electronic items are damaged more from a low amp draw than a power surge.

When using a surge protector, the items that require more power should be plugged in nearest the power source, where the power cord comes into the protector. Be watchful of WHAT is plugged into the protector. If you have a sewing machine plugged into the protector, don't plug your iron into the same strip. Irons are power hungry items just look at the wattage of the iron. Irons are usually 1000 watts and up. Usually when the iron kicks on to heat, power to the other items is compromised. This can cause damage to circuit boards in other items. Also, because of the wattage of an iron, it is better to be plugged directly into the wall and preferably into another socket than the protector.

It is also a good idea to replace the surge protector every 12 to 18 months. They do wear down. There are constant surge and low amp draws in electricity. These may not be enough to trip your breakers but can be enough to damage other things not protected. Good example of this fact is a light bulb.

Since we are on this subject, please review your home owners or content insurance. The insurance with the protector is not much so don't depend on that. Talk to your insurance agent. Most insurance policies put a "cap" on the amount to be paid for certain items. Today sewing machines go into several thousand dollars but your insurance policy may only pay $150 because of the "cap". You may be thinking you don't want to pay out more money for insurance but believe me when I say it is money well spent. You may say you have "replacement insurance" which is great but they still have a "cap" on payout! Whenever you buy additional equipment be sure to talk to your insurance carrier to make sure it will be covered as well.
    I live in the suburbs outside Orlando, FL on several acres on a huge lake. I swear there is a sign stamped on my property that says "Lightening strike here." In the fifty years we have lived here, we have had a number of trees hit. The tall pines draws the strike.

My son is an EE and his advice is ALWAYS unplug your expensive appliances. Also there is one other concern. If you have a house constructed on the ground as most in FL are, lightening will travel down a tree, hit the ground and depending on how close to the house, also travel thru the ground into your floors. Your foot pedals sitting on terrazzo, which we have is and excellent conductor and will hit the pedal.

He says surge protectors are fine for many uses but when you are dealing with $$$$$$$$s, don't guess.
    I forgot. The surge will also blow holes in metal floor pans under your shower and pipes depending on the metal. Yep, we got that one too.