Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • T-Shirt quilt, advice, please! >
  • T-Shirt quilt, advice, please!

• T-Shirt quilt, advice, please!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by OzarksGma
    Originally Posted by soccertxi
    I'm just starting 2 of them today. I like to use the tricot iron on interfacing. You alternate the stretch of the tricot going one direction and the stretch of the shirt the other. I think it gives it a nice body, but not too hard to quilt thru. I have quilted thru the shirts too..but beware of shirts with lots of stiff paint. Try to plan your quilting around that. Here is a picture of one I am using as an idea. I love the way the blocks look like they are 'floating' on top of the quilt. Fools your eye doesn't it? lol
    I hope it is not too small to see.

Let me know if you want more info on this setting.
    I would like the information on this setting, I have a tee shirt quilt I am getting ready to start and I think this would be a very nice change from the routine quilts.
    Thanks
    I too would like more information on this setting as I need to do one for all of my DS's hockey tshirts for his oldest son. He thought a tshirt quilt would be something great to pass on to his son. He has shirts fromall kinds of tournaments he was in when he played.
    Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm just finishing my first T-shirt quilt. I'm sure I'll be asked to do more (6 grandkids!), so I would love to have directions for that setting! Or just a close-up so I can see what you did!
    Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM

I did one for a school secretary this year..
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-127576.jpe  
    Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
    I have been saving all of my kids sports T-shirts for years with the intention of making a T-shirt quilt for each of them. Has anyone made one of these and if so, what do you do about quilting i?. Do you quilt only the sash and borders? They say to iron the T-shirt on to iron on interfacing and I always wonder about that.... how will it hold up in the wash?
    Or are there any other, more creative and different T-shirt quilt styles other than the traditional one that I have seen with the sashing between the T-shirt blocks? Would love advice from all you talented and experienced quilters!
    Thanks!

Torrie
    WARNING! If you are going to use T-shirts that have the older 'iron on' decals, you must NOT iron them to interfacing! It will destroy them. (Ask how I know :oops: ) I have figured out how to use them anyway. I just lay them out and 'press' them with the weight of books, etc. to get them nice and flat. Then, you use a product called "OK TO WASH IT", (available at most crafty stores or Walmart) which is a permanent fabric glue. I use a playing card/credit card to smear it thinly onto the back of the T-shirt, behind the design. Very carefully press it with your hands, gently to a plain (washed) muslin base. I cut the front piece of the T-shirt way bigger than I need it, so I can 'trim to fit' after the glue has dried for 24 hours. I hope this saves you the headache I had when I did it wrong. Good luck!
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Originally Posted by Zappycat
    I have been saving all of my kids sports T-shirts for years with the intention of making a T-shirt quilt for each of them. Has anyone made one of these and if so, what do you do about quilting i?. Do you quilt only the sash and borders? They say to iron the T-shirt on to iron on interfacing and I always wonder about that.... how will it hold up in the wash?
    Or are there any other, more creative and different T-shirt quilt styles other than the traditional one that I have seen with the sashing between the T-shirt blocks? Would love advice from all you talented and experienced quilters!
    Thanks!

Torrie
    WARNING! If you are going to use T-shirts that have the older 'iron on' decals, you must NOT iron them to interfacing! It will destroy them. (Ask how I know :oops: ) I have figured out how to use them anyway. I just lay them out and 'press' them with the weight of books, etc. to get them nice and flat. Then, you use a product called "OK TO WASH IT", (available at most crafty stores or Walmart) which is a permanent fabric glue. I use a playing card/credit card to smear it thinly onto the back of the T-shirt, behind the design. Very carefully press it with your hands, gently to a plain (washed) muslin base. I cut the front piece of the T-shirt way bigger than I need it, so I can 'trim to fit' after the glue has dried for 24 hours. I hope this saves you the headache I had when I did it wrong. Good luck!
    Don't go to all that trouble, just get an applique pressing sheet and lay the block printed side down, press (lift iron, set it down, repeat on another section) do not iron,the tee section, Center "iron on fusible interfacing" on the wrong side of the tee design cut at least 2" larger than the size of the block you intend to cut. 17" Interfacing=15" Block=14" Finished block. Press on to tee and cut the squared up block to finished size plus 1". You will have 1/2" seam allowances that will lie flat and won't curl when sewn. I use the Pellon light to medium weight fusible interfacing. I've done about 2 dozen tee shirt quilts to date.
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

i am going to make quilts from my DH's t-shirts he was a car nut and had t's from all kinds of shows i thought i make east kid one to remember him with
    Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 PM

i used the light weight woven fusable on my t-shirts quilts..no problems at all. even with the old ones. i also press with a piece of muslin on top..or flip it over and press the back.
    never set a hot iron on any t-shirt emb. it will melt.
    Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    i used the light weight woven fusable on my t-shirts quilts..no problems at all. even with the old ones. i also press with a piece of muslin on top..or flip it over and press the back.
    never set a hot iron on any t-shirt emb. it will melt.
    Exactly why I suggested using the applique pressing sheet. If you put it on your ironing board, then press the back side of the tee, the paint will be on the applique sheet, even if it does heat up and melt, the pressing sheet keeps it in place and it stays on the front of the tee and not on your ironing board.
    Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
    Banned

I posted about a technique for t shirts that I saw recently at Quilt Festival in Houston. They used the fusiable grid pellon for the entire quilt. It really looked easier than the more traditional way. Look for that post. I believe I gave more details. I might even be able to find the name of the company that was selling the directions.
    Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    I did one for a school secretary this year..
    This is gorgeous! What a great gift!