Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • t-shirt quilt >
  • t-shirt quilt

• t-shirt quilt

Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 AM

I need some advise with this. I'm an experienced quilter but only with cotton fabric. Someone has asked me to make a t-shirt quilt. help please.
    Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 AM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida! There's some one on the board that just did a t-shirt quilt. Very knowledgeable people.
    Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
    Power Poster

Wow there sure has been a whole lot of interest in T-shirt quilts lately. Try this thread. Welcome to the board BTW.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35279-1.htm
    Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 AM

I made 5 t-shirt quilts last year for my son and some of his fraternity brothers. I used tricot fusible web for the tee shirt squares. It gives a little with the tee shirt and isn't stiff. I also used fleece for the backing and didn't have to use batting that way. After the squares are sashed and sewn together I quilted free motion with a randon pattern. Hope this helps. Also, I got the web at Joanne's.
    Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM

thanks for the advise and links. Now I just wonder how much to charge. Supposedly she has already cut her squares without the web fusing. hmmmmm

I'm glad I found this board, thanks again.
    Lisa
    Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisawatts
    thanks for the advise and links. Now I just wonder how much to charge. Supposedly she has already cut her squares without the web fusing. hmmmmm

I'm glad I found this board, thanks again.
    Lisa

I charge $400 to make one but that is getting the shirts whole. That price includes all raw materials (batting, backing fabric and sashing fabric, thread and embroider floss for tying) Even if this person has already cut down shirts, unless she is an experienced T-Shirt quilt maker, you will most likely have to recut, or square up. Give no discount for precut. $400 to $450 is more than reasonable. Do a google search on T-shirt quilts. Most on line sources charge $500.
    Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Lisa, I am in the process of making a T shirt quilt. I told the client $10 a block. I am also keeping track of how many hours I spend, cutting, fusing, blocking sewing etc. etc. as well as receits for the backing, batting, sashing and stabilizer. That way I can show them the real bargin they are getting. So far I have 15.5 hours and $55 in materials in it that I got on sale with coupons. I expect there is probably another 20 hours worth of labor coming. I figure they are getting it for a little over minimum wage. I didn't include my thread and the power used to run my equipment in the breakdown.
    I hope they don't find friends that want the same thing.
    Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 PM

It also depends on what size quilt you are making. I also charged 10.00 per block and used 12 blocks in mine. I know that isn't enough but by doing 5 of them I got it down to a fine art and less time. Hope this helps you. To me the hardest part was squaring up the blocks.
    Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Why do quilters never charge enough? Tee shirt quilts take more time than a regular one.
    Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM

you know, I think it's because in general we don't know how to value our natural talents and abilities. And we aren't confident with pricing. I know what I have paid for quilts made by others and quilts I've bought at auctions. Over time and experience of making many things for hire, I've become a little better with it.

Again, I certainly appreciate everyone's willingness to offer help with this project.