Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Table runner not quite finished - what to do? >
  • Table runner not quite finished - what to do?

• Table runner not quite finished - what to do?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Table runner not quite finished - what to do?

My nephew is getting married Wednesday and I have been working on a table runner for him and his new wife. I have it all pieced and was starting to quilt it tonight and hate the backing on it I want to make it a print fabric instead of a solid. Question is would it be terribly tacky to put some swatches of the fabric used (she loves black, red, and silver - the table runner is a twister done in blacks and reds with a border of white glittery fabric) and tell her/him they will get it shortly. I am planning on making them a rag quilt once i find the perfect flannel fabric ( it is a joint effort with my other sister) but i wanted to give them something on their wedding day. She didn't have a bridal shower so I am giving her my standard shower gift i have given all my nephew's brides to be - a trifle dish with my "Better Than Sex" dessert recipe enclosed as well.
    Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM

I'd go with what you think will make them happy, and what you also prefer. A scrappy back, using the off-cuts might work really well. It sounds as though it would be lovely at Christmas so you've time before they really need it. You might consider taking a photo of the work in progress and put it in a card so they can see what to expect.
    Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM

I think giving her swatches of the fabric with an explanation of what is to come is an excellent idea!! They will know it is coming and you will give them the product you want to instead of one you really aren't happy with.

Dina
    Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 PM
    Power Poster

I think it would be fine to give them swatches and a note telling them it's a "work in progress".

More importantly, however, I really want your"Better Than Sex" dessert recipe!!!
    Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I think giving her swatches of the fabric with an explanation of what is to come is an excellent idea!! They will know it is coming and you will give them the product you want to instead of one you really aren't happy with.

Dina
    I agree. They'll have tons of gifts now so getting one a little later will make it extra special!
    Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I think it would be fine to give them swatches and a note telling them it's a "work in progress".

More importantly, however, I really want your"Better Than Sex" dessert recipe!!!
    Better than sex? Is fabric involved? LOL! I'd like it, too. Was it already in the recipe part & I missed it?
    Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 AM
    Power Poster

Two years ago I gave each of my 3 college friends a bag of loose blocks for Christmas. They got their completed quilts at Valentine's day. They still love me. I think the swatches with a card is just dandy. I'd rather not rush and do a good job even though the gift will be given a bit late.
    Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Since the table runner is pieced, you could add a picture to show how it looks.
    Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. i did find some fabric tonight that will work much better for the back. but i am not going to rush and try and get if finished. i also will be posting the recipe in a few minutes under the recipe section! it really is a good dessert - some people call it death by chocolate though!
    Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Several years for Christmas, my children got fabric samples wrapped up in a beautiful box with beautiful ribbon. Then sometime during the year they got a quilt. It's almost a tradition now.