Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • table runners...question >
  • table runners...question

• table runners...question

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM

I like to use flannel. It gives the runner a bit of body but its not too thick. Always pre-wash flannel because it shrinks a lot.
    Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM
    Power Poster

In the ones I have made, I use a very thin batting.... can't give a name...just whatever I have handy
    Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM

I always make them reversible with the seasons & always have used lite batting but I am rethinking some of my ideas. Thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas. The computer has kept me sane since I fell & broke my arm and cannot do much.
    Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM

I used thermalon ( believe thats how you spell it) or a batting you might use for crafts. I bought mine at Walmart. It worked out good. it says it's washable. It doesn't have much poof to it though. I got the idea of thermalon from Sewing with Nancy to make placemats. I thought it would be the same difference.
    Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM

I use whatever scrap I have that fits the size of runner/topper I am making lol.
    I have recently in the past couple of weeks completed six runners and toppers from as small as 8x12 to as long as 12X67 and used some cotton batting in some, warm and natural in some and fusible in fleece in some..all got washed and dried and all are laying nice and straight with candles, lamps, Christmas decorations or picture frames on them and they are all flat. I should mention that all were quilted fairly dense and I believe this helps in quilts laying flat.
    Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 AM

I would think a fusible stabilizer would do the trick for added body. I think that is what I am going to try on my next ones. Will make it look more crisp.
    Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 AM

I use felt. It is totally flat and really gives some "weight" to the runner. Sara
    Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM

Hi tapper, I use batting in my table runners. I made one for my coffee table and I put heat resistant batting in it. Now, if I have visitors, I can put the hot coffeepot or tea pot on the runner and I don't have to be afraid of marks on the wood. It works well for me. I must add that the heat resistant batting is more stiff than the thinner batting, so my runner looks more "elegant" if that is the right word.
    Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 AM

I almost always use batting especially if I know cups and drinks, etc., will be set on this mat. No, I never have found the runner to be "bumpy". Hope this helps!
    Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I use Warm and Natural in my runners... but pre - shrink it ! I like the crinkle look for quilts.. not on table runners. Table runners I want flat!
    I use Thermolane....it is a fleece like batt used for padding in clothing, but it works great for tablerunners, placemats. It does not shrink, so it always looks great...........I use JoAnn coupons when I need to buy.......I think Pellon makes this