Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Taffeta Quilt >
  • Taffeta Quilt

• Taffeta Quilt

Old 02-10-2024, 02:21 PM

Default Taffeta Quilt

Has anyone made a quilt from taffeta? I am going to interface the fabric to give it more structure. I am hoping a longarm’er will be willing to quilt it. And advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 02-10-2024, 04:30 PM

I just finished a quilt with crepe backed satin and it was rough. I will be quilting it on my long arm and pray it goes well! Taffeta would be stiffer and not so squirrely. Hope you figure it out it should be beautiful
    Old 02-10-2024, 06:16 PM
    Power Poster

Is there a reason for using taffeta? It doesn't breathe and will be harder to launder than cotton.
    Old 02-11-2024, 07:00 AM

I used taffeta for the big ole sun in a sea cliff applique. Did not stand up to use. Now there is a circle of exposed batting. It is just too loosely woven. I will never use taffeta again, no matter how pretty. I would like to see yours with interfacing. This was from my self taught beginnings. I also used bed sheets for background, which have deteriorated to the point that I just trimmed off the outer border!
    Old 02-11-2024, 09:45 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by aashley333
    I used taffeta for the big ole sun in a sea cliff applique. Did not stand up to use. Now there is a circle of exposed batting. It is just too loosely woven. I will never use taffeta again, no matter how pretty. I would like to see yours with interfacing. This was from my self taught beginnings. I also used bed sheets for background, which have deteriorated to the point that I just trimmed off the outer border!
    This is part of my concern as well. I was given a vintage top, and the only patches that had to be replaced were taffeta. They were literally falling apart. All the cotton patches were in great shape. And this was just a quilt top that had been folded and stored away, not a finished quilt that had been used and laundered.