• Talk to me about batiks please >
  • Talk to me about batiks please

• Talk to me about batiks please

Old 12-16-2020, 01:30 PM

My favorite story about the process.

This is part 2 but explains the steps.

https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/...ikes-takeover/
    Old 12-16-2020, 02:33 PM

I love batiks--the richness of the color and the ability to blend them as the patterns are dyed into the fabric are just beautiful. They have a tighter weave so that they can be dyed and the designs laid down with wax resist process. The wax is washed out but the stiffness is still there. Once washed in your home washer they are fine. I don't always pre-wash (any fabrics) but I do use a white paper and rub really hard on the fabric and if Any color shows I do pre-wash. Batiks are like other fabrics, the reds, blacks and other jewel colors are ones that may bleed. I do wash all quilts everytime with color catchers though. I long arm quilt my quilts and find that with batiks I try to use a tab larger needle (#18) and if I am also using batik for the backing (which is seldom) I will load it a little looser on the take up bar so no skipped stitches. Any time I'm doing raw edged fused applique I use batik as it' just doesn't fray as much. Love the stuff!
    Old 12-16-2020, 04:02 PM

I love batiks and use them more than any other fabric. Always prewash them because they do bleed, I always wash in hot water and the fabric does soften up. It’s also helpful to use a Microtex needle because the weave is tighter.
    Old 12-16-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder
    I love batiks and use them more than any other fabric. Always prewash them because they do bleed, I always wash in hot water and the fabric does soften up. It’s also helpful to use a Microtex needle because the weave is tighter.
    I would only ever do machine quilting. Are these Microtex needles for machine or hand quilting? Or available for both?
    Old 12-16-2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by amethyst
    I would only ever do machine quilting. Are these Microtex needles for machine or hand quilting? Or available for both?
    Microtex are machine needles. They are very sharp and much better than the universal needles. I only use Microtex in my machines.
    Old 12-17-2020, 03:01 AM

I love Batiks and over 75% of my stash are Batiks; I prefer to work with them for many of the reasons stated. One of my older couch quilts is made with Batiks and it is very soft and cuddly, it has held up well to washings and cats. I wash all quilts with a color catcher and cold water, I am not a pre-washer, but, I do keep Synthropol and Retayne on hand just in case I come across something suspect. I just finished quilting a top on my longarm that was all batik including the backing and had no issues. Don’t be afraid, buy some, use some and see for yourself if you like it or not.
    Old 12-17-2020, 03:23 AM

Amethyst, Do a Goggle search about how batiks are made. It is a fascinating process. As a new quilter it is good to begin to learn about the fabrics that catch you eye. Don't fear batiks, but you may not want to invest in them until you have made a couple of quilts. Their colors are glorious and like others have said, they relax, become less stiff and some do bleed color initially. They can be a bit more costly but not significantly. At my LQS (Local Quilt Store) the cost is the same as good quality quilt fabric. I often will watch for sales for all fabric. You can also find fabrics that are printed that look like batiks but I prefer the "real thing". Below is an example of a quilt that I made from scraps of batiks that were given to me from another quilter. It was a simple pattern and easy to make with minimal planning for color placement. Enjoy your quilting journey and ask lots of questions. We will be happy to answer.
    Attached Thumbnails 2018-6-28-doug-joslyn-wedding-back-resized.jpg   2018-6-28-doug-joslyn-wedding-resized.jpg  
    Old 12-17-2020, 04:13 AM

I've made several quilts and never had a problem with any of them at quilting time. I have a HQ Fusion, the the only quilt I had serious problems with skipped stitches was a batik, but the problem was the thread I was using. I've quilted up several 100% batik quilts with no problems, and I love small pieces so have sewn through lots of seams.

However, I just don't care to work with them, partly because I don't like working with stiffer fabrics (hate using starch). My main gripe is I've had so many more bleeding problems with them, and I do prewash everything. I've participated in a few swaps and gotten blocks with batiks, and had a few bleeds with them too. They also were all prewashed. The thing with bleeds - some fabric will accept loose dye and some will not. I've had a couple of bad bleeders and found that not all the other fabric gets affected. I do a lot of scrappy type quilts so it gets very noticeable that some fabric gets dyed and some does not.

I will admit that there are some intense colors with batiks, and sometimes it's the only fabric I've found that is the match I want. With some of the newer digital prints, there is a lot to choose from. I'd not hesitate to use a batik, and I even have one quilt kit that is all batiks, but for the most part I won't buy it for stash, so I may be the odd one there.
    Old 12-17-2020, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by amethyst
    What are color catchers?

(Sorry. I’m such a quilting newbie.)
    I guess I used to be a newbie! After a year on this board, I still have Google tab open to answer "What is that?" questions as I read posts here. No question is too basic here. I love that!
    Old 12-17-2020, 05:34 AM

Oh, I forgot to give you my opinion about your original post. I prewash fabric before using. I love the batik colors and have had no problems including them in quilts. I didn't know otherwise and just thought they were pricier because of hand-dyed process. I used rusty batik for the background of this kaleidoscope quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails butterfly-kaleidoscope2.jpg