Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • TBQ - 32 to be quilted UFOs >
  • TBQ - 32 to be quilted UFOs

• TBQ - 32 to be quilted UFOs

Old 06-19-2011, 11:57 AM

I think it's a great idea to allow any one who wants one right away to take their top and pay to have it quilted. That way, you can keep making tops which is your favorite part anyway.
    Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

I had to read all the comments on this one as I am a topper also!!.. I won't even say how many I have, I kind of quite counting one day when I was trying to find them all!!! I did take several to the guild for our charity day, others took them home & quilted, they got binding on them, so those all went to good homes!! and of course several went to the solider quilts but..... still more here!!! haha.. I am on a rant to use my stash so my next project is matching up backing & see where it goes from there... LOL I am so glad I am not the only one out there!!!... keep making those tops!!!.....
    Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I have been trying to decide what to do with all the unquilted tops I have on hand.
    If I have some simple ones left that would do for a charity kids (or other charity) quilt, I sew it to a piece of fleece - right sides together, no batting...leaving a small space to turn inside out (and close later by machine). Quick and easy, no binding...a few curved safety pins and quick quilting or stitch in the ditch. It slides really well and is very soft. Washes well too.
    Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM

[quote=SparkMonkey]Heh, I'm exactly the opposite--hand-quilting is my favorite part, and making the top is a distant second. I don't know why I don't just go whole-hog and do a densely hand-quilted wholecloth quilt!

You need to barter with someone who will make you a top or 2 for you quilting their top. I used to joke and say that's who I needed to find. I'm a top person. Maybe we can do a deal one of these days.
    Robin in TX
    Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 AM

A supply of unfinished quilt tops have pretty much put a halt to my piecing. It has not stopped me from buying fabric. Time to get going again.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DebbyT
    Wow. For you and all the others who have accumulated so many tops, this is going to take a lot of backing fabric 'and' batting. I know I have my stash but I also have used fabric intended for backing to piece with. -- Of course, you could use a quilt top for the top and one for the backing.
    I plan on buying a roll of batting (poly--50 meters)..this takes a lot of space in my house. This is one reason I'm trying to make sure I have enough tops to be able to use up the roll so I don't have to find a place to stash the batting. Plus the cats...I've had one that liked using batting as a litter box. It taught me to never leave batting sitting around touching the floor.

I have plenty of spare fabric so backing isn't an issue. I use anything...curtains, bedding, sheets, fabric, etc. I don't mind if the back is a conglomeration of fabric, but I won't use a top I made as a back.

Gotta go sew...for a little while and then off to the school to look for some used school books for a lady who needs some (here in Poland all parents have to buy their own children's books for the next year).
    Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM

I'm a piecemaker also. It's hard to get in the habit of finishing a quilt. I tend to use the pillow case method with polar fleece for the backing. Technically it's cheating but they get finished. I'll never place in a quilt show but they work as baby quilts and lap quilts. I have trouble doing anything larger. I have a lot of tops waiting. Once in a while I finish one! :oops: :roll: