Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • teaching children? >
  • teaching children?

• teaching children?

Old 07-12-2013, 04:03 AM

Yesterday my 2 daughters, ages 11 and 9, started sewing for the first time. They both enjoyed it, and I was not as much of a total wreck as I thought I'd be. We used my Janome 6600, without the foot pedal. Just set it to a slow pace and went to work. They each completed 2 coasters, doing the layout, pinning, sewing, clipping corners and turning the corners. Worked out great. Next week... little tote bags.
    Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM

My grandson was just over three the first time we sat down together at the sewing machine, with him on my knee directing the fabric and me operating the foot pedal. The next time he came to visit, the first thing he looked for was "that machine, you know Mom, the one that makes quilts" Music to an Amma's ears!
    Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM

I have a grandson just turned 7 who loves to sew. He has his own small machine. He made PJ bottoms a few months ago. We have our machines side-by-side on the table. I do a long basting stitch in one color thread and then he has to sew over it with a finish stitch in a different color thread. Eliminated the need for him to use pins or needles that might stick him and dampen his enthusiasm. Starting our first quilt today and think we will do a crazy quilt with muslin foundation so he can let his creativity go wild.
    Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 AM

My grandson who is 4 is fascinated with all machines. We made a small quilt 4 5"blocks by 5 5" blocks. He operated the foot peddle while I put the squares through. We sandwiched the quilt and using the walking foot we put big X's for the quilting; again my grandson doing the peddle work. He also got to choose special stiches on my machine and stich those. Soon I think we will try letting him do the sewing.
    Old 07-12-2013, 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=bakermom;6170419]That's how i learned, too. Must have been 8 or 9. No real sewing till i could show i could follow the lines[/QUOTE
    I would not teach kids that way. They want to MAKE something, not stitch on paper. I stitched on paper too, but that was in Home Ec. and by that time, I already knew how to sew. If sewing lines on paper had been my introduction to sewing instead of doll clothes, I doubt I would have been inspired enough to stick with it. Kids will find out soon enought that if they aren't accurate, their projects won't turn out, and they will get better - or give it up - but at least they will have something to show for it.
    Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Great ideas!!!!!! Thanks, everyone!
    Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM

MY barely 7 year old DGD made a doll quilt her first time on the machine. I let her use my JNOME 6500 because I could regulate the speed. She did a great job with matching corners...needless to say I was amazed! We did some stitching exercises on paper...no thread...sewing on marked lines and curves. She can't wait to get at it again.

Now her 5 year old brother wants to sew....oh my!
    Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM

What wonderful ideas. Thank you. My DGD will be 5 next month and I was wondering when to start to teach how to sew. Again thank you.
    Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM

My granddaughter started at age 7 and is very good at it. She does her own pressing too. She has completed one quilt and is working on the next one. I have not let her use the rotary cutter. I did buy a klutz glove, but have not had the nerve to let her try it.
    Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

I would teach a child to sew on a machine when they expressed an interest in sewing. My Mother taught me to sew at an early age, maybe 8 years old or so, but before that she taught me to do embroidery when I was six. I did help a little 5 year old girl make a doll quilt on the machine, and she was thrilled when it was finished.