Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Teaching a Class >
  • Teaching a Class

• Teaching a Class

Old 08-05-2024, 02:38 AM

I no longer teach hand applique because I want to concentrate on my own projects. But when I did, I experienced all the things you have all mentioned - late to class, no supplies, no experience, etc. Most people were absolutely great, and I really enjoyed getting to know them. But t stopped teaching when I encountered a person who kept interrupting me with questions. i could see the other people in the class shifting around in their chairs. After many interruptions, I had to be rather rude and ask the person to hold her questions for a while. But she said she had paid for the class and was entitled to ask whatever and whenever she needed, which was all the time!
    Old 08-05-2024, 04:03 AM
    Power Poster

Mkotch what an entitled jerk you had to deal with. After seeing her put on her show I would have answered every question of hers with I don't know and kept on teaching . She would get the message or get up and leave. Her choice.
    Old 08-05-2024, 08:14 AM

Oh how I wish I had been a student in your class, Mkotch. I would have opened my big mouth and told her she was NOT entitled to be rude and disruptive.
    Old 08-05-2024, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Oh how I wish I had been a student in your class, Mkotch. I would have opened my big mouth and told her she was NOT entitled to be rude and disruptive.
    Oh, me too!! How about all the others in class who also paid and want to learn not just listen to you ask your questions. Some people . . .
    Old 08-05-2024, 01:13 PM

Yeah, I would have liked to be there too. I would have liked to ask the person if she thought she had signed up for a private lesson and if so, she was in the wrong place.
    Old 08-06-2024, 03:17 AM

I’ve said almost all those things in a class I was teaching! But I said it sweetly. LOL You ladies are welcome in any class I teach. I think we would have a fun and lively class together. You had better hurry though because I am retiring from the shop at the end of the year.
    Old 08-06-2024, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch
    I no longer teach hand applique because I want to concentrate on my own projects. But when I did, I experienced all the things you have all mentioned - late to class, no supplies, no experience, etc. Most people were absolutely great, and I really enjoyed getting to know them. But t stopped teaching when I encountered a person who kept interrupting me with questions. i could see the other people in the class shifting around in their chairs. After many interruptions, I had to be rather rude and ask the person to hold her questions for a while. But she said she had paid for the class and was entitled to ask whatever and whenever she needed, which was all the time!
    Oh, my! I'm afraid I would have pointed out that the others in the room had also paid for the class and were not getting to the steps they needed due to the interruptions.

There was a point in my life when I thought I wanted to be a teacher. It ended up not being in the cards, and it's a good thing, too. I realize now that I absolutely do not have the patience for it, whether in a school or in a quilt shop.
    Old 08-06-2024, 08:44 PM

i took a class in EPP a couple years ago. Even though I had been doing it for years mine just never seemed real happy with my results. And the instructor's work was absolutely gorgeous!!! So she's going around the class meeting people and she asks me why I took the class. Because I need to learn what she does so I can do better. I can not say enough how wonderful her work was. I was not able to replicate her knot - the lady sitting next to me tried to help, but it just didn't take. Still not up to the instructor's ability - but will keep working on it. There was a lot to learn that day even though I knew the basics.
    Old 08-07-2024, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    i took a class in EPP a couple years ago. Even though I had been doing it for years mine just never seemed real happy with my results. And the instructor's work was absolutely gorgeous!!! So she's going around the class meeting people and she asks me why I took the class. Because I need to learn what she does so I can do better. I can not say enough how wonderful her work was. I was not able to replicate her knot - the lady sitting next to me tried to help, but it just didn't take. Still not up to the instructor's ability - but will keep working on it. There was a lot to learn that day even though I knew the basics.
    Ooooh, I'm so jealous! I would love to take an EPP class that's something beyond basics. I keep looking but haven't found anything yet.
    Old 08-07-2024, 02:27 PM
    Power Poster

I was not able to replicate her knot

What type of knot? The quilter's knot?

I had a wooden dowel about 18" long with a hole at one end and pointed at the other end. I use that to demo how to make the quilters knot in my class. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-07-2024 at 02:30 PM.