• Main
  • Teaching a Class >
  • Teaching a Class

• Teaching a Class

Old 08-01-2024, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

Default Teaching a Class

I haven't yet -

But it is only recently that I have become aware of how much time the teacher spends in direct preparation - and - how much time it took to accumulate whatever knowledge needed to teach a particular class.

So - if I'm paying for an 8-hour class - I'm also paying for a lot of unseen time that the teacher spent outside the classroom before he/she even sets foot in the classroom.

Old 08-01-2024, 10:15 AM

I spent five years in university to become a teacher but my greatest joy is in teaching workshops. It's true, there are many hours spent ahead of time making a sample, figuring out the technique tips, and collecting supplies. To me, those hours are also where much of the fun lies. There is also a lot of fun in shopping for the workshop.
    Old 08-01-2024, 02:04 PM
    Power Poster

I hold workshops and classes for my guild a lot. It does take a lot of time to get everything ready, anticipate all the questions and have all the step outs prepared. I do it for free because if any complaints, they can't complain. LOL
    Old 08-01-2024, 02:25 PM

So true. At my Bee, we take turns demonstrating a technique or block. I like to work with samples and not sew in front of everyone showing steps as it goes along. It makes such a difference. Patience is required.
    Old 08-01-2024, 06:58 PM

I'm a 4-H volunteer who leads quilting and sewing clubs. I can spend (and often have) a whole day preparing for a 2 hour meeting with the kids, prepping supplies, writing and printing instructions (with pictures), briefing the other volunteers. Then spend another hour or two rehashing and summarizing what was just taught so the kids can finish up...
    Most workshop and class instructors are worth every dime you pay to take the course.
    Old 08-02-2024, 03:14 AM

I teaching quilting classes at quilt shop and while it does take more time than most would think to pull all the parts together. What frustrates me most is those who come to class late and/or they do not bring the supplies listed. Sometimes the supply it takes longer, to make sure they will have everything they need, than it does to make the original sample. I’ve even had a few tell me “that wasn’t on the list”. Only to respond with “oh” when shown that indeed is was there. And with all that, I love when you see that light and smile that is on their face when they either get it or when they finish a project they thought they couldn’t accomplish.
    Old 08-02-2024, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952
    I teaching quilting classes at quilt shop and while it does take more time than most would think to pull all the parts together. What frustrates me most is those who come to class late and/or they do not bring the supplies listed. Sometimes the supply it takes longer, to make sure they will have everything they need, than it does to make the original sample. I’ve even had a few tell me “that wasn’t on the list”. Only to respond with “oh” when shown that indeed is was there. And with all that, I love when you see that light and smile that is on their face when they either get it or when they finish a project they thought they couldn’t accomplish.
    I believe I’d like to take your class. I took a class and I’m a model student (ha) I brought everything on the supply list but the instructor never got around to addressing most of it. For instance a sketch pad. I had one so I didn’t go buy one but that would’ve been an unnecessary purchase. The quilts she brought were full of animal hair and kinda gross. Didn’t learn much.
    Old 08-02-2024, 07:57 AM
    Power Poster

With a late arrival I expect the instructor to say I'll catch you up when there is a break. It's not fair to the ones that paid and got there on time to wait for the late person to get caught up. There are legit reasons for being late but none really matter to the others in the room and to expect it would is truly self centered. There are quiet a few well known instructors I have taken classes from before that I won't again due to catering to the one class member who can't seem to do anything and need hand holding at every step. The classes were not beginner classes.
    Old 08-02-2024, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    With a late arrival I expect the instructor to say I'll catch you up when there is a break. It's not fair to the ones that paid and got there on time to wait for the late person to get caught up. There are legit reasons for being late but none really matter to the others in the room and to expect it would is truly self centered. There are quiet a few well known instructors I have taken classes from before that I won't again due to catering to the one class member who can't seem to do anything and need hand holding at every step. The classes were not beginner classes.
    That's one of my pet peeves. I hate to sit and wait while one person wants to hog all the teacher's time like it was a private class. I had one teacher who had a student like that and she kindly said "I'll get everyone else sewing and talk to you then". I thought that was a good way to handle it. I once had a woman sit next to me in a class who either couldn't hear the instructions or didn't pay attention. I thought the teacher did a good job of explaining each step but this woman would ask ME questions all the time making it hard to me to keep up. I finally had to just ignore her and pay attention. I kind of hated to do it, but I had paid quite a bit of money to take the class and wanted to hear the instructions instead of tutoring the woman next to me.
    Old 08-02-2024, 09:34 AM
    Power Poster

If I were an instructor, the following things would really annoy me - (they do as a fellow classmate!)

1) being late - and being obnoxious/noticeable/noisy about it - for no good reason -
    2) not listening and prattling on and on about something non-relevant
    3) thinking his/her way is better - maybe so - but shut up until the class is over!
    4) not bringing supplies on the list - the other students may not be thrilled about sharing
    5) over-estimating one's ability
    6) if class is "too simple" - just hush - might learn something new, anyway
    7) sewing machine not capable of doing what is needed for class
    8) Being impatient and not waiting until the next step is presented before asking questions