Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Teaching the kiddos >
  • Teaching the kiddos

• Teaching the kiddos

Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 AM

During my 4-H years, there were specific things to make for sewing projects. The first year was a very simple unlined tote bag. I am sure that things have changed over the years, but I would check with their group leaders to see what is acceptable before even raising their hopes to make a complete quilt.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 AM

Don't worry about the guys being teased. You can pump them up so that they are so proud of their accomplishments that they will be excited to show their work. Then, before you know it, their guy friends will want them to do one for them. My son had an extra elective to take in his sr. year of high school so he took a home ec. class. Well -- he learned to service my sewing machine and he made an awesome set of vinyl covers for his guitar amps. Really impressed his friends! Have a great time with the boys.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 AM

There is so much to say here..... but I'll try to keep it simple.

I was a home-ec teacher for over 20 years and I agree about teaching the boys to sew. They are creative, they aren't afraid of the machine and they are always very proud of their projects. And, I was a co-leader for my daughter's and granddaughter's 4-H group.

Do check with the leaders to find out the categories for the 4-H show. You don't want something disqualified because it doesn't fit into one of the categories. But, having said that, most anything sewing could be squeezed into a category for a show..... unless it's only a garment show.

Your idea of showing your son the steps to making his quilt is really the best plan. Most kids learn better by viewing and doing..... we all learn best that way. Having taught many student with autism, I'm aware of the frustrations..... some will get frustrated and want to quit... others want to keep going, forever. You'll have to decide which your son is and adjust to his needs.

My DGD's first 4-H show she wanted to make a quilt..... she loved horses and we found a pattern with large pictures of horses. We fussy cut the horses to 12"x12" blocks and alternated them with a 9-patch coordinating fabrics. The quilt was easy for her to work on (until the quilting.... that was a struggle) and she still has the quilt today. She got a blue ribbon and was so proud. She's married now and has a 4-year old and she's already talking about Nanna teaching her little one to sew. Of course, I'm really excited to do that..... wish she wasn't 12 hours away.
    Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mdall
    QuiltNan, thanks so much for working that up on EQ for me. That design would be great and still will work even with having to add a fourth leaf to accomodate the 4H's as Daylesewblessed metions. Just add a fourth block instead of the stem....
    OOOPs. you are right, of course. 4 leaves
    Old 09-15-2013, 07:53 AM

I don't know if its still available but a few years ago there was a cotton fabric with the 4H clovers all over it. I think they were about an inch to inch and a half in size. If you can find any of that print, it and a solid green would make a simple patchwork quilt.
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM

I vote for rag quilts of some sort. I buy denim jeans at thrift store on bargain day for $.25 - $.75 a pair .... it took several months to get enough. Cut into 6" or 8" squares. Pair each square with t-shirt or flannel (from cut up shirts, also from thrift store) or other fabric and stitch using 1/2" seams. Can be made to whatever size they want and can be to fit the person. So easy for kids and very forgiving in construction process. Good luck!
    Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 AM

I have a DGS with Aspergers as well. He is 9 and is high functioning, but attention span of a gnat unless he is playing with video games or hand held games. I have a computerized embroidery/sewing machine, and we have made embroidered pillowcases because he loves the puter part! The DGD's made pillow cases but didn't care to do the embroidery. Cases are easy, straight stitching, can have a cuff or not, etc. You could piece the cuff with the 4-H clover blocks, etc. It took about 30 minutes to learn to properly thread the machine, and he was so excited to get the thread in the needle (I didn't show him the auto threader). It was a challenge and he did it! All the kids sewed and took home pillow cases (I sent a machine home with the girls as they are in Texas) but the DGS can come over any time and sew with me!
    Old 09-15-2013, 11:35 AM

They can also make themselves pillow cases - my grands (boys and girls) start with pillowcases - they use them until they fall apart!! They can make bags to carry groceries. Mine also love to create quilts on EQ7. They are so fun to work with!!
    Old 09-15-2013, 11:56 AM
    yel

a 4 h clover would be easy just use 4 hearts [we all made them in 2nd grade ] points together