Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tearing fabric >
  • Tearing fabric

• Tearing fabric

Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by tropit
    OK...just for the record....I AM NOT OLD AS DIRT...LOL. I too, remember those measuring thingys with the dial that went round and round as the clerk pulled the fabric through it and then snipped it. The cottons that I bought were always snipped on that machine and then ripped. The clerk usually added a couple of inches for, "good measure." I also loved those brass, grooved insets on the cutting table that helped the clerk to make sure that the other types of fabrics were cut straight. I'd love to have one of those, "groovy," things in my own sewing table.

Oh...and as for your question, yes, you can rip both ways and it will leave nice, straight, edges. Just be sure that your print pattern isn't off, as fabrics are not always printed exactly on grain.

~ Cindy
    I have almost forgot about those machines - I remember them now too.
    Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    I am old enough to remember when all my sewing projects began with fabric nipped by the measuring device and then ripped across the width. Older than dirt?

Brings back memories! I, too, rip, press and the edges are frayed, I recut. I guess I am not alone.
    Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by klgls
    I was at Harriett Hargraves store in Denver a couple weeks ago and bought some fabric and was surprised when they "ripped" the fabric. Seems that's the way they cut their fabric. I did feel like I lost a bit that way as it does warp the threads a bit. But I remember when I took sewing in school (many many moons ago) that was the way we learned to straighten our fabric before we pinned our patterns on.
    This makes sense to me as in her Quilters Academy series, she talks about how tearing the fabric is the best way to find the grain. I did learn early on that Flannel does not tear like Cotton does...

Cheers, K
    Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Oh my goodness, I had entirely forgotten about those measuring devices at the store. Thanks for the memory!

Do you remember when large department stores always had a Fabric and Notions department?
    Old 04-16-2014, 02:53 AM

Any one remember So-Fro Fabrics? Ran the fabric thru the measuring "thingy", pressed the lever, and then ripped it at the cut.
    Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 AM

Hey from another Alabama quilter!! I always rip both ways if needed and have never had a problem. I like getting a straight grain! Keep on quilting!
    Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 AM

Cheshire, I'm older than dirt too- guess one could say I'm a fossil, because I remember when fabric was seldom cut by the clerks. Now even with a groove in the cutting table, most clerks cut the fabric crooked, and I think so much of the fabric is rolled onto the bolts crooked to begin with.
    Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 AM

I had totally forgotten about those measuring machines. I remembered ripping fabric and when double knit fabric became popular ripping fabric when you bought it was no longer possible. That must have been when those measuring machines went by the wayside. Funny how a simple question turned into a nostalgia trip for me and others.

I rip for backings as it's just so much easier and faster and in the end I'm going to trim off the ripped edge when I bind my quilt. Other than that I don't do much ripping. I figure using the selvedge to measure is true enough grain for me.
    Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    I had totally forgotten about those measuring machines. I remembered ripping fabric and when double knit fabric became popular ripping fabric when you bought it was no longer possible. That must have been when those measuring machines went by the wayside. Funny how a simple question turned into a nostalgia trip for me and others.

I rip for backings as it's just so much easier and faster and in the end I'm going to trim off the ripped edge when I bind my quilt. Other than that I don't do much ripping. I figure using the selvedge to measure is true enough grain for me.
    I remember that in high school we had to stretch the fabric on the bias to get it to lay straight after pulling the thread across the WOF. Now I've heard that it isn't as necessary to have that end exactly straight grain as long as the folded edge is square. Soooo, I'm older than dirt, too.
    Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 AM

I also remember the clock like thing and then pulling the fabric from corner to corner to get the true gain.