Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Test Driving a sewing machine >
  • Test Driving a sewing machine

• Test Driving a sewing machine

Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 PM

If you don't mind saying, what price range are we talking about for the Dreamweaver? I'd really like something that will give me more accurate 1/4 inch seams.
    Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM

I just bought one. I have not taken my free classes. Did your come with the dual feed walking foot and the free carrying cases?
    Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM

My sister's came with the 3pc. luggage, Muv-It foot, and laser pen. I can't comment publicly on the price she paid under threat of death. I do know she paid 1500.00 less than MSRP.
    Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 AM

I was quoted $ 3800 on the model for sewing and $ 5200 for the combo sewing embroidery. I read about the promotion on the brother site. Make sure you look at that before you buy. The dealer was vague about what was included.....on purpose. I wasnt allowed to touch the machine, demos only, not a lesson I was told! So I am going to look at the baby lock crescendo. Almost the same unit. Not sure about pricing yet.
    Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 AM

Well, I don't actually get to test drive this weekend as hoped...grandbaby came a little early, so will have to do it later..thanks everyne for the responses - hope to hear more about others' experiences/comments.
    Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM

That's a dream machine to me! I've only seen it at a quilt show. And I can't afford that much for a machine, but you go girl! Let us know what you think & if you get it...please post pictures.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Josieneedles
    I went to look at one today. Brother has a promotion, i thi k with this machine you get a $ 500 embroidery machine, until sept 30. The dealer only had the dreamaker with the embroidery. I am curious if they allowed you to try the machine. I was told no, demo only. I,d love to hear what you think of it.
    I don't have that model but do have other Brother machines, from low end Big Box store to Dealer TOL, love them all. quiet, user friendly. Just curious was the the store owner or a salesperson who wouldn't let you touch the machine? If that dealer is convenient to you I would try again, tell him/her you are very interested but need to see how it feels to you. If they say no then go to another dealer & let them know why you wouldn't buy from them. I would even report it to the Brother company. Every Brother dealer I've known (except for the big box stores) lets a customer sit & sew on the demo machine.
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Babylock and Brother are made by the same company. Both are high quality machines. I just lucked in to a Bernina in a Koala cabinet but I have a Brother Innovis 1250D sewing/embroidery machine and I love it. The Bernina is wonderful, too, but they are very expensive. My plan was to set up the Innovis for embroidery and use the Bernina for piecing but the Brother is, well, it's just quieter, smoother and needs less pressure on the foot pedal to sew. I guess I'll just have to choose between two very high-quality machines. Poor me! You can't go wrong with a Brother or Babylock.
    Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Well, I finally go to go into town yesterday to the Brother dealer and had the DreamWeaver Sewing/Quilting machine demo'd for me...they didn't have any more in stock. I ended up buying the floor model for a huge discount... I'm super excited! I don't mind getting this floor model for one the great price, and 2, it worked beautifully so I know it's not a lemon!! I consider this a win win!! Doing my happy dance this morning!! Time to get acquainted!
    Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM

That is great news (and apparently execellent timing on your part)!!!