Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there any such thing as a 'quilters elbow'? >
  • Is there any such thing as a 'quilters elbow'?

• Is there any such thing as a 'quilters elbow'?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 AM

I get it from using the mouse on my computers here and at work. I know it is an ergonomics issue, I just haven't found my mouse sweet spot.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:17 PM

I had tennis elbow before and the doctor said it would take a year to heal and she was right. It took exactly a year and it was gone. I did use the strap thing on it sometimes.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM

I got this from crocheting. I have to get cortisone shots from time to time. No big deal.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Everyone's on the right track. You can get the equivalent of "tennis elbow" from any kind of repetitive motion of the elbow. But keep that doctor's appointment. He/she will probably have a treatment for you that will speed up your healing and may not require you to stop sewing.

I keep getting "quilter's elbow" and found that if I avoided quilting my big quilts, like the king size, on my small machine, I don't flare it up. And after that last queen sized one, the queen size is going in the same category. I will send these quilts out to be long arm quilted. That's because I've learned to do piecing without causing problems, and all other things quilting, except for all the pulling and holding on these larger quilts when I quilt them. So I send them out, quilt the smaller ones myself, and my problem is solved. Hope you get relief for yours as well.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM

I had knitter's elbow, the same thing as tennis elbow. It did indeed take forever to really heal, on the order of the year somebody else mentioned. I did all the rest, ice, compression strap, ibuprofen and finally just pretty much quit knitting for about three months. Thumb quilting helped me more than anything, since it's an opposite kind of movement to knitting. I also got a red FlexBar, magnifying glasses, and put my light on the other side so I wouldn't be leaning over to see and winging out my elbow like a chicken wing.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Yep! The neck and right shoulder when machine quilting on the DSM. Right elbow and right thumb when hand quilting. I get relief by using products such as Max-Freeze, Activ-On, or Perform (all roll-on pain relievers). And rest of course.
    Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Yes I have had this. I went to the Doctor and he called it golf elbow. Because we use the same muscles when quilting as the ones you use for golfing.