Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there a difference between Hobbs Heirloom & Tuscany cotton battings? >
  • Is there a difference between Hobbs Heirloom & Tuscany cotton battings?

• Is there a difference between Hobbs Heirloom & Tuscany cotton battings?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
    Power Poster

Default Is there a difference between Hobbs Heirloom & Tuscany cotton battings?

My question is about the 100% cotton battings from Hobbs. The only difference I can see between their Heirloom cotton and Tuscany cotton is that the Tuscany specifies USA cotton.

Has anyone used both? Just wondering if there is much of a difference between them.

I am creating a spreadsheet for 100% cotton battings because I keep getting confused by the choices -- whether or not they are needlepunched, whether or not they are needlepunched through scrim, loft, and distance between quilting lines. I would welcome any and all comments about 100% cotton batting experiences!
    Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=Prism99;5638110]My question is about the 100% cotton battings from Hobbs. The only difference I can see between their Heirloom cotton and Tuscany cotton is that the Tuscany specifies USA cotton.
    ...Just wondering if there is much of a difference between them.

I have the same question--I would like to know what the qualitative differences are between the Hobbs Heirloom and the Hobbs Tuscany battings are. In most batting discussions I have read, Hobbs Heirloom and Hobbs Tuscany products are paired, not contrasted (e.g., ..."many quilters prefer to use Hobbs Heirloom and Hobbs Tuscany in their ...."). The fact that these battings have different names suggest they have different qualities, but I, too, find it puzzling and would welcome your opinions.
    Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM

from the Hobbs website (http://www.hobbsbatting.com/products...any-batting/):
    What makes the Hobbs Tuscany Batting offering different from Hobbs’ Heirloom® Batting line is the method by which the products are finished – each product in Hobbs’ Tuscany Batting line is lovingly cut, folded and packaged by hand, providing quilters with a batting that has few if any wrinkles or creases, and wonderful loft in those products designed to provide high loft.
    Old 10-13-2018, 10:08 AM

From the Hobbs website; Hobbs Tuscany Batting was launched as a premium batting offering for retailers, long-armers and quilters.What makes the Hobbs Tuscany Batting offering different from Hobbs’ Heirloom[SUP]®[/SUP]Batting line is the method by which the products are finished – each product in Hobbs’ Tuscany Batting line is lovingly cut, folded and packaged by hand, providing quilters with a batting that has few if any wrinkles or creases, and wonderful loft in those products designed to provide high loft.
    Still confusing. Is it the same batting handled differently to make it loftier?
    Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    From the Hobbs website; Hobbs Tuscany Batting was...Still confusing. Is it the same batting handled differently to make it loftier?
    Exactly. Thanks for your post.
    Old 10-13-2018, 06:43 PM

I was told by a batting distributor (Hobbs mainly but others too)that Tuscany and Hobbs packaging are different resulting in the tuscany having fewer creases and more loft. One is rolled and the other folded.

Has anyone used Hobbs Premium Cotton? It has great loft--no scrim, needle punched and have to quilt fairly close.
    Old 10-14-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
    I was told by a batting distributor (Hobbs mainly but others too)that Tuscany and Hobbs packaging are different resulting in the tuscany having fewer creases and more loft. One is rolled and the other folded.

Has anyone used Hobbs Premium Cotton? It has great loft--no scrim, needle punched and have to quilt fairly close.
    I haven't used the premium cotton but it's on my list of battings to check it out because it's supposed to be loftier than 80/20. I am also very curious about Quilter's Dream battings that so many are raving about. Has anyone used both brands, QD and Hobbs, so as to make a comparison?

I appreciate everyone's comments. Reading through them there's lots to think about, but I am most curious about the issue of loft.

If the Hobbs Tuscany has greater loft than Hobbs Heirloom, does that greater loft straight out of the package really make a difference to your quilting and/or finished quilt after quilting? Won't loft just restore itself after a while?

I have also read you should never iron or buy the fusibile batting (I am a fan and have used 80/20 fusible in a number of quilts which may be why I am considering double batting) because you will compromise loft. I have always assumed that a good steaming or a few days draped over a shower curtain will restore loft no matter how you have treated your batts--e.g., ironed, tightly packaged, multi-folded, etc.

Thanks again.
    Old 10-14-2018, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=Prism99;5638110]My question is about the 100% cotton battings from Hobbs. The only difference I can see between their Heirloom cotton and Tuscany cotton is that the Tuscany specifies USA cotton.

Has anyone used both? Just wondering if there is much of a difference between them.

I am creating a spreadsheet for 100% cotton battings because I keep getting confused by the choices
    ------------------------------------------------------

Prism, you have gotten your answer about the packaging, and I have heard the same thing from a Hobbs representative.

As far as the spreadsheet goes, you might want to contact Hobbs directly. They have an excellent folder with actual samples of their products and the information about the characteristics. That folder has been handed out at 2 separate presentations by Hobbs employees. It is very helpful and would fill in some of the blanks on your spreadsheet. I am pretty sure they would mail it to you.

If I ever get to Waco, I would much rather tour the Hobbs facility than visit Magnolia Farms! Our guild visited the cotton laboratory at Texas Tech last month, and that was extremely educational!