Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there something wrong? >
  • Is there something wrong?

• Is there something wrong?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM

I think I actually enjoy my "just because" quilts more since I can be more creative. I keep them after they're finished until I need the perfect gift for someone. It's just nice to have a few quilts in standby mode!
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM

I have about 40 quilt tops waiting to be finished! I make quilts because I like the pattern and want to try making that particular pattern and because I LEARN THINGS from each quilt block I make. I learn by doing and all these quilt tops that I have made are my "class notes" or "class projects." I give most of my finished quilts away to family and friends but I also regularly make charity quilts for our foster kids, Vet's Home, shut-ins, hospital, and nursing homes. I also make dozens of small quilts a year for our local animal rescue shelter. A new quilt is sent home with each animal adopted from the shelter. These shelter quilts are the ones I use to practice my free motion quilting.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Seems like a response you would get from a man. I have lots I want to make and not for anyone special in mind.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Maybe you mostly make a quilt with someone special in mind, I can see why he asked who it was for!! When I have someone special in mind for a quilt, as I make it, I am always thinking of them, praying for them, this is comforting TO me....all this enjoyment of the quilt long before they ever receive it!! Sometimes men really want to be part of our quilting world even if it is only in a small way..... who can blame them????
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM

My mother asked me the same question. I told her I do make quilts for others but once in awhile, I make one just for me. So far I only have one for me. I seem to give them away anyway.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
    Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK
    Reversible quilts = two pretty tops from each quilt, not so much to store between changing quilts and one batting provides two end products.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM

I have quilt patterns that I want to make for certain people, but then I have lots that I want to make for me. I ask myself every time a find another pattern I like if I really need as many quilts as I have planned. Need? No... Want? Yes, yes, yes!!! Why not have as many quilts as you like or want? Life is too short, so if it makes you happy, I say there is nothing "wrong" in having as many as you like.
    Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM

I have a lot of "closet quilts" - quilts I can't bear to part with but know someday it will have a home of its own besides the closet :-D :-D
    Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM

I love all my quilts even the ones that don't come out perfect..

I make them and someone always wants them LOL but I do keep a few for me and I use them all...Keep a few they make you feel good when you look at them..
    Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I will make a quilt because I love the pattern, love the fabric & must have it. I enjoy the process, love the finished quilt & keep it!! BUT... after awhile I have found another "my favorite" and am able to give it to someone I love.