Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off? >
  • Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

• Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

Old 01-08-2016, 03:25 AM

Rowenta has one mid priced iron without the auto shut off feature. I found it through Joann's online. So far so good.
    My Reliable last about a year and then just quit. The Tfal replacement started leaking from the fill hole not long after I got it. So I'm crossing my fingers on this one. I'm hoping since it came from Germany and not China perhaps it is a better product.
    Old 01-08-2016, 04:07 AM

I get a lot of the older Irons at goodwill, salvation army and stores like that. Pay only a few dollars for them. Hope this helps.
    Old 01-08-2016, 05:05 AM

I have an older iron with an auto shut off and I like it better than the newer ones because the auto shut off is a longer period of time so I can press, do some sewing and go back to press and it is still on but if I forget it eventually shuts off. I got a new one for another house and it shuts off so quickly it's an aggravation. It also shuts off if I'm pressing (not ironing) and hold the iron in one spot too long like you have to when you are fusing and such. I'm assuming that it has that feature so if it accidentally tips over it will shut off before starting a fire. Not so good though when you are intentionally holding it in one place for a reason.
    Old 01-08-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by carolaiken
    This caught my attention since I'm on a very tight budget. I looked at an online calculator to see how much it was costing me to iron my quilt pieces:

kWh Per Day: .10

Iron: 1200 watts
    Rough estimate of ironing 2 hours a day for 30 days= $14.40 a month
    That's about $180 per year.
    I'm thinking of running an extension cord to the neighbor's house
    This is what we need to think about. Try to sew a lot of pieces before you go to the iron. I even finger press small pieces so that they are easier and faster to open when I get to the iron.
    Old 01-08-2016, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    I have an older iron with an auto shut off and I like it better than the newer ones because the auto shut off is a longer period of time so I can press, do some sewing and go back to press and it is still on but if I forget it eventually shuts off. I got a new one for another house and it shuts off so quickly it's an aggravation. It also shuts off if I'm pressing (not ironing) and hold the iron in one spot too long like you have to when you are fusing and such. I'm assuming that it has that feature so if it accidentally tips over it will shut off before starting a fire. Not so good though when you are intentionally holding it in one place for a reason.
    This is what mine does, too. It shuts off in 14 minutes if standing up, and in 2 minutes in working position. When pressing, I need to flip it up once in a while to keep the heat on, but there is a little light the flashes when it is NOT working. So when the light flashes, I flip it up for a split second to keep the heat on. No big deal.

But that little light drives my husband nuts. He keeps telling me my iron is on, and it does take some electricity to run that light. So I have my iron and the light above the ironing board plugged into a power strip. When I flip the switch, the light is off, and that means the power is off, so no flashing light day and night.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-08-2016 at 05:47 AM.
    Old 01-08-2016, 05:47 AM

check the cheaper irons from kmart like sunbeam and other brands. Also their is $9.99 iron at JoAnn that I got that does not have auto shut off.
    Old 01-08-2016, 05:58 AM

I love my Euro. It's the irons that are demonstrated at quilt shows. It sits flat on a silicon pad so there is no wrist twisting to use it. They claim that the iron will not harm any fabric. They demonstrate that on chiffon and a ballon. It never shuts off until you turn it off. It gets plenty hot and has lots of steam. I'd never want a different one.
    Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

When DH see the on light on my iron he says don't forget your iron is on. I say I know, I want it on so I won't forget to turn it on. He is in my sewing room maybe twice a year and always notices the on light on the iron. LOL
    Old 01-08-2016, 06:15 AM

Buy a cheapo at Walmart - mine has lasted a long time! Don't even remember when I bought this one but when it dies, I will toss it and go buy another cheapo. I have had expensive irons and will not buy another - too much money, not enough value.
    Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM

Had a co-worker whose teen age daughter left the iron on after pressing something she wanted to wear to school that day -- all would have been fine, but the cat jumped on the ironing board, and the iron fell when no one was at home -- you guessed it -- house fire.