Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off? >
  • Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

• Is there still an iron on the market WITHOUT auto shut-off?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hulalulu
    Had a co-worker whose teen age daughter left the iron on after pressing something she wanted to wear to school that day -- all would have been fine, but the cat jumped on the ironing board, and the iron fell when no one was at home -- you guessed it -- house fire.
    That's why I have a iron cage on my ironing board. The iron cannot be knocked off or pulled off. My young grands are in my sewing room a lot so this is mandatory, no exception.
    Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu
    Had a co-worker whose teen age daughter left the iron on after pressing something she wanted to wear to school that day -- all would have been fine, but the cat jumped on the ironing board, and the iron fell when no one was at home -- you guessed it -- house fire.
    Yes it happens,
    Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM

If I am quilting, I only want a gentle press, so I use the Clover mini iron that doesn't turn off. If I want more pressing, I use the Oliso 1600 that does have an auto shut off, but if you leave it down, it doesn't shut off, but after using this iron a person has problems remembering to set your other irons up.
    Old 01-08-2016, 12:50 PM

I just go a Country Store catalog that has several irons like we used to use from steam to dry irons.
    Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 PM

an iron doesn't take up THAT much electricity...I believe if you left it on for 4 hours every day it would total $7 a month
    Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sept97
    an iron doesn't take up THAT much electricity...I believe if you left it on for 4 hours every day it would total $7 a month
    Probably not that much! DH works for the power company I guess I could ask him. He insists on replacing the large electric appliances at least every five years as the energy savings does make a difference.
    Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM

I was just thinking about getting a new iron. I have used the Continental ones I get off Amazon...they have no holes and don't shut off at all. I love them, but don't think they're really HOT so been looking for something that doesn't auto shut off. I see someone mentioned the Reliable Digital Velocity..never had that one. I just can't stand the auto shut-off.
    Old 01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
    Power Poster

I realize it can be tedious when you are doing a lot of quilting, you need to use the iron and it has shut off; it's annoying; however, I've lost count of the number of times I have forgotten to pull the plug on my iron, walked away and forgotten it, only to come back to it hours later and see the light blinking telling me it was still plugged in. I'm just glad that the cat didn't jump up on my ironing board, knock down the iron and start a fire. I guess it's just personal preference; however, I grew up in a household where my father was an electrician, so I got a good education on the do's and do not's about electrical appliances, so I'm a victim of my environment.
    Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I do this but it can be tricky and is not as stable. In Europe my mother had a little rest plate that the iron stood flat. It was on the wider end of the ironing board.n Something like this but oh look at the price of this board.

http://www.125west.com/p-4713-reliab...XrEaAhYD8P8HAQ

While on the subject of ironing boards. This is the ironing board I have. I LOVE it but it doesn't have a horizontal iron rest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76gOcVco3JE
    I have something similar, but that's a crazy price. I paid about $50 for mine here in Poland. New. At the grocery store.
    Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 AM

I have my iron plugged into a power strip that also has my bendable bright lite plugged into it,that way the iron always gets turned off when the light is shut off, I always turn off the light when I turn off my machine, it is very obvious if I forget.