Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb"? >
  • Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb"?

• Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb"?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM

I use my thumb differently than I think you do, but if I spend too long at a time hand quilting, I do get a cramp in my thumb.
    Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 AM

When I'm hand-sewing the needles go through my fingers often. If I try to use a thimble, I stop using that finger all together & it just makes things difficult. I use a rubber fingertip from office supply & it solved all my problems! Try that!
    Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 AM

There actually is a way to quilt called "thumb quilting". I believe it's just a nick name like they give to "stab stitching", but for people who quilt with their thumb. I think there are a number of thumb quilters out there! ;)
    Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm also trying to figure out how you quilt using your thumbnail as I'm trying to be a hand quilter also!! I guess whatever works for you!
    Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 AM

I do the exact same thing!!! I thought it was just me..I am so glad that someone else does this..my biggest problem is when I have used the nail so much I get a hole in it from the needle. And yes, my hands & thumb are often sore, but my stitches are so much more even and much smaller!! Thank you for bringing this up! I am not alone after all! :thumbup:
    Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM

I'm having a tough time visualizing what you're doing, Trina, but it shouldn't be causing stress on your finger.

You might try a tailor's thimble. It looks like a regular thimble without a top, and it's bigger than a ring, so it might let you position the needle closer to where you want it. I use one all the time when I quilt away from myself, and I don't feel stress on my thumb joint at all.

The other source of stress is pulling the needle...sometimes that does hurt my thumb joint. I use a piece of rubber to keep it from stressing my hand too much.
    Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
    I do the exact same thing!!! I thought it was just me..I am so glad that someone else does this..my biggest problem is when I have used the nail so much I get a hole in it from the needle. And yes, my hands & thumb are often sore, but my stitches are so much more even and much smaller!! Thank you for bringing this up! I am not alone after all! :thumbup:
    You are not alone, I do it also, especialy when I quilt away from me vertically
    Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    Originally Posted by kathy
    I can't figure out how you're pushing the needle with your thumb, before I made me learn to use a thimble I used my nail on my middle finger where I now wear a thimble. I use my thumb to know when the needle is through the fabric.
    I have a strange habit, and I guess it comes from being self-taught. I find it easier to quilt from bottom to top (up), using my right thumb nail (underneath) to push the needle & my index fingers on both hands to 'feel' the needle going up & down. SO, when I use a ring on my thumb it straightens the knuckle & forces me to push with it straight and not bent like I'm used to. Does this make sense? Am I the only weirdo quilter who does this? :shock:
    I also hand quilt and I do not use a thimble, but use my thumb nail for going up & to the right side, I use index or 2nd finger nail to go down or to left side. I have a problem of wearing a hole in the nail if I have a lot to do or a deadline. I am trying to use an open thimble on 2nd finger, but stitches are not as small, but it is a quilt for me so good practise.
    You are not weird :-) Maybe you are tensing up too much with the new way & joint is just to locked while using it that way.