Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble? >
  • Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

• Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM

My grandmother tried to make me use a thimble when I was a child learning to sew. I never liked them and didn't use one until I started quilting. I have a leather thimble that I took a stitch or two in at the top to keep it from coming off my finger. I still have a couple but my favorite one now is the Clover silicone one with the metal top. It fits, doesn't get hot, doesn't stretch and stays on my finger.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM

I use a metal thimble with a rim around the top for hand quilting. Since I taught myself how to hand quilt - I found a thimble that fit - and found that putting it on my ring finger worked the best for me. I just couldn't manipulate the needle with the thimble on any other finger. And since I was teaching myself...there was no one to tell me that it wasn't the correct thing to do! Anyway, this is how I have always quilted and I have hand quilted 20-25 quilts in years past. The other thing that I do is put a rubber finger tip or the tip cut off a rubber glove on my index finger. It helps me grip the needle and makes my hand less tired.

Oh yeah, and I am left handed - I taught myself to do all sorts of things creatively - you should see me knit and crochet -

Last edited by Sherryquilts; 12-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:59 PM

I have tried every one under the sun...the only work I use when I am desperate is the small metal disc...with replaceable adhesive round inserts...better than nothing...
    Old 12-14-2013, 07:05 PM

my favorite is the soft plastic with metal tip, don't know the name but I think it is made by Clover and my size is pink. I am thinking of buying a second one with a coupon I have as the price has really gone up on them.
    Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 AM

me too! I must have a dozen thimbles but my favorite is an old red plastic one and even then only use it occasionally
    Originally Posted by lclang
    I probably have a dozen thimbles, but my favorite is an old hard plastic one that I found in my mom's house. It actually fits and most of the others don't.
    Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 AM

I tried every thimble we had at the shop and Joann's, then I was introduced to Roxanne's thimble love them. Roxanne, daughter trained me to size the customer (most shops will permit you to try it a week and if you need a different size you can exchange.
    They are expensive....worth every penny. If you never used a thimble you need to give yourself time to get used to it wear it around the house after you stop quilting for a short time until you get comfortable with it. I am a hand quilter.
    Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Leather, leather, leather. The ones with the coin where the pad of your finger is. I have large, blunt fingers and the metal ones just don't get it. After the new one is used for awhile, it conforms to the shape of my finger.
    Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 AM

I've wanted to try hand quilting and was told to get a good thimble...but how does one know what size to get.
    Good ones tend to be in a package and can't "try it on". I've seen the plastic ones but wasn't sure if the sizing was
    comparable from them to the metal ones and the leather just didn't appeal to me to even try. So, how does one know what size to get?
    Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3
    I have not used a thimble much as I always felt they were cumbersome.....but, recently I have been doing more hand sewing and one night I was pushing the need through several layers and ended up pushing the needed right through my finger - literally in one side and out the other! So I pulled out the old metal thimble that I think used to belong to my grandmother. I really don't like how it feels so I am going to look into some of the others that y'all have mentioned. Good thread! Terina
    OUCH! I shiver just visualizing it!!! You need a thimble dear.
    Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68
    I like a metal thimble, for hand quilting I used the Roxanne thimble, loved it. I no longer hand quilt but still use that thimble when doing hand stitching down the binding.
    I also have used a Roxanne thimble and loved it but my finger joints have gotten so big that I can't keep a thimble on so have not been hand quilting any more. It's disappointing as I enjoyed it.