Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble? >
  • Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

• Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Default Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

Yes, I know there are probably a ton of questions & comments out here pertaining to thimbles, but maybe we can kind of gather them up & rehash this whole thimble thing.

Besides, I see so many new thimbles & other thingy gadgets have popped up to make that oh so humble art of making a stitch easier & more comfortable. Or so the powers that be say. Sometimes, you gotta watch those folks, flim flam & a medicine show at best.

I don't know about you, but I am still searching for that magic one that will soothe my soul & help me make perfect stitches, that's not too much to ask, is it?????
    Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 AM
    Barbk

I don't use a thimble unless I have to. I have all kinds. The one I like the best is indented on the end. Some are rounded & the needle bounces off when you try to push it.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 AM

I use a Thimblelady thimble. It is open-ended and designed to push with the pad of your finger. Nice deep dimples to hold the needle. I have also used her needles but actually prefer Roxanne needles. I find pushing with the pad of your finger less stressful and hurtful to the hand. I've tried many, many others over the years and this is the one that works for me. And I think the stainless steel versions are reasonably priced - about $35. There are also plastic ones for about $10 which is what I started with to see if I liked the style after years of using thimbles with the ridge on the top and pushing with the top of the finger. Much more comfortable for me.
    Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 AM

I don't use one unless i have to. I have a bumpy one and a leather one somewhere, but I'd have to search for them if I needed them.
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 AM

I use a leather one made of deerskin. It has a little plastic disk that helps keep the needle from piercing your finger. I have dozens of them about my house as I sew or quilt whenever I sit for any length of time. I even wear it when mending or sewing on buttons. If I a working on a standing quilt frame I also wear one on my left thumb as I can quilt with both hands when I use that sort of frame.
    Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 AM

I use a leather thimble for all hand sewing, not just quilting.
    Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 AM

It depends on what I'm doing. For hand piecing and applique I have some old silver thimbles that I like to use.

For hand quilting, I use either a Roxanne or a TJ Lane thimble. Like NJ Quilter, I use the pad of my finger to push the needle for quilting, and either of those do a good job. Before I bought the Roxanne, I wore through a could of cheaper thimbles, so for me a good thimble is worth the extra money.

Janet
    Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 AM

You use a Thimblelady thimble too NJ Quilter! That's great. Gosh I could hardly believe my eyes. I have only met one other quilter who even knows what they are about and I read you from Central NJ!
    Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 AM

Having tried every "inexpensive" thimble out there - silicone, rubber, metal, leather, combination of those materials, I finally bought a Roxanne. It's my preferred needle for stitching... But then I bought a Thimblelady one (currently $48 for the stainless) and that is my favorite for quilting.

they are shipped from AU, so takes a couple of weeks to get to US, but have a great exchange program, should you not like the size you ordered. There is a great video of her on Youtube, with Alex Anderson, explaining her thimble and her method.
    Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 AM

I only use a thimble for protection when I'm binding. I have a bunch of inexpensive Jellies that I bought when I was teaching kids to sew several years ago.