Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thin batting recommendations please >
  • Thin batting recommendations please

• Thin batting recommendations please

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Quilters Dream Batting has a cotton batt thickness called Select and they say: Very light low loft. Needles glide like butter. In natural or white

Sounds like just what you are looking for.

Jan in VA
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
    Banned

I agree with the Quilter's Dream recommendations. When I hand quilt, it's what I use and it is lighter than Warm and Natural.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM

If you decide to go for wool - hotfoot it over to your nearest Hancock Fabric. They have all of their batting 57% off today through Sunday. I cleaned them out of Warm & Natural today and bought a few yards of bamboo blend to try.
    Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM

I use Fiber Co half bamboo/half cotton batting and it is wonderful. My vintage sewing machine sews through it like butter with the STANDARD presser foot. Not very high loft, more of a traditional or antique look. Great to work with in every way. oldsewer
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:27 AM

THANK YOU to everyone who gave me suggestions! I knew I could count on you all to help. I will head out today to see what I can find locally and how it feels! Thanks again.
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 AM

Since we have little need for a really heavy quilt, I use a traditional needle-punched poly batting. It's what I used in throws and kid's quilts as well.
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by gramacheri
    I am doing a LARGE king sized quilt for my sister who lives in California. I want to use a thin batting so it's not
    too warm for her to actually use. I normally use Warm and Natural but that is heavier than I would like. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks for any help.
    I second the silk batting, but it is expensive. I think wool is a good suggestion as it breathes. The only poly I'd try is quilter's dream, too many adverse comments on everyone elses. I use a 80/20 and it is lighter than W & N, I like it.
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 AM

I have used the Quilter's Dream cotton batting in the thinnest loft, and it is VERY thin. I think it's just what you want, if you don't want Thermore (polyester, but really nice and light), or a flannel sheet, etc. Just be careful not to tear it when smoothing it out over your backing--it's that thin. I actually prefer the next thickness in Quilter's Dream cotton batting, but I'm not in a hot climate. You can even order just one batting directly from Quilter's Dream and they'll ship it to you (from North Carolina, if my memory is correct).
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:51 AM

I'm glad I saw this thread! Question on the Quilters Dream - how close does the quilting need to be? I'm doing a flannel quilt, window pane D9P and the farthest distance on any block is 4 1/2". Since its flannel, I want to use my serpentine stitch on my Babylock and sew over every seam to help keep it from fraying if it's ever washed. I'm thinking that would be a better stitch than the ladder stitch, especially since my machine does not do even stitching on a quilt sandwich.
    Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

QD cotton can be quilted up to 8" apart, according to their website. Their cotton is needlepunched, which makes it stable enough to take quilting lines that far apart. Here is a link to all their batting specs, including quilting distance for each:
    http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/user-guide.htm