Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Things a beginner should know? >
  • Things a beginner should know?

• Things a beginner should know?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Learn to thread your machine. I switched from a vintage singer to Janome. All these years, I’ve been taught the thread goes on the right of needle then thread needle. I had all sorts of issues with the Janome the first couple of weeks until I saw a video and thread goes on the left of needle. I read manual but missed or drawing wasn’t clear enough.
    Old 03-29-2018, 02:27 PM

You ladies are a fountain of good information. I cannot thank you enough. I am currently enjoying quilting my first imperfect but wonderful lap quilt.
    Old 03-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Get non-slip rulers. I didn't realize how much a small amount of slippage could multiply over the many squares of a quilt. My first quilt was a disappearing 9 patch made with 5" squares. I think I had to square them down to about 13 1/2" to get them all the same size. I'm sure learning to sew a 1/4 inch seam had something to do with it as well.

For non-stick, I prefer Creative Grids. If you have some kind that's not non-slip, you can use sandpaper dots from the quilt shop. The ladies on the gardenweb quilting forum swear by Nexcare tape from the pharmacy. Invisigrip also works, but it comes off your ruler after using it for a while.

bkay
    Old 03-29-2018, 04:34 PM

Don't beat yourself for not being perfect!!!!! Enjoy the journey!!! Do what looks good to you and move on! The learning process is so much a part of the adventure!
    Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    The importance of cutting accurately, and being uniform in the method you choose to cut.

There are different ways to cut, generally speaking the most accurate cutting does not utilize the grid lines on the mat, rather the grid lines on the ruler only is used. I use a two ruler method as follows:

1) Use the smallest ruler possible to cover all of the fabric you need to cut. This is your "cutting" ruler.
    2) Use another ruler that covers 2/3 of the other ruler (or fabric). This is your "measuring" ruler.
    3) Lay fabric flat on your cutting table with the edge to be cut to the right hand side.
    4) Lay your cutting ruler along the right edge of the fabric with a little bit of fabric showing to the right of the ruler all the way down.
    5) Cut along the ruler, this is your "straight line" (note - if you are working with directional fabric, you may have to finagle the ruler placement to get a straight edge that matches the print on the fabric).
    6) Slide your cutting ruler to the left of the straight edge.
    7) Using your measuring ruler, find the measurement you wish to cut. Place the ruler on the fabric to the right of the cutting ruler, and slide the measuring ruler to the right until the measurement you want is on the straight edge. You will want the right edge of the measurement line to just cover the straight edge.
    8) Slide your cutting ruler to the right until it butts up against the measuring ruler.
    9) Keeping you left hand on your cutting ruler to keep it in place, remove the measuring ruler with your right hand and pick up your rotary cutter.
    10) Again, keeping the cutting ruler firmly in one spot, make your cut on the right side of the cutting ruler.

By staying uniform I mean ... always measure with the same ruler (or brand of rulers), the cutting ruler doesn't make a difference. Also, make sure you always measure the same way .. ie make sure the measurement line on the measuring ruler is always in the same place on the fabric when you measure.

I learned the above cutting instructions from Sally Collins, a quilter/teacher well known for her precision. I highly recommend her book and video "Mastering Precision Piecing"
    DogHouseMom, thank you so much for this mini tutorial. As many quilts as I have made (#?), over the last 24 years, I have never heard this explained. Whoopeee! My accuracy will go way up. There is always something new to learn. Hugs.
    Old 03-29-2018, 06:22 PM

Press as you build your block. It may seem like it's easier to just sew the whole thing together and then press. But your blocks go together so much better if you take the time to press each seam. Learn the difference between pressing and ironing. Ironing will stretch your fabrics and seams.
    Old 03-29-2018, 06:28 PM

I am about to donate some fabric “tonnage” to a local rescue fund raiser for dogs. I wish someone had warned me about the “purchase Willy-nilly hazard”too. Oh well, it will help some dogs. I still will have more projects than time on the planet, but my DD’s who do not sew will be thrilled. (Less for them to deal with when I am gone.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 03-29-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Old 03-29-2018, 06:59 PM

I forgot the most important thing to remember while cutting. Quilting cotton has give across the fabric, but very little along the length. When cutting pieces, make it a habit not to turn your units. This keeps the stretch all in the same direction. Makes matching things up much easier even on a simple square unit quilt.
    Old 03-30-2018, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

get a "decent" sewing machine - right now my Singer 237 is one of my prferred machines for piecing. it is from the early 1960s and these are the features it has:
    straight stitch
    zigzag stitch
    forward and back
    three needle positions
    one can drop the feed dogs on*some* of them
    currently available from $25 to $125 on the second hand market.

a sewing machine that "acts up" is very frustrating.
    Old 03-30-2018, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

Take care of your machine and your machine will take care of you! Clean out the lint fuzzies regularly and oil as recommended by the manufacturer.

Fear NOTHING!! If you see something you like, go for it. I can't tell you how many quilters will walk away from a pattern or design they love because they are "afraid" to do a curved seam or a set in seam (aka Y seam). How many quilters get stuck just doing an all over meander on everything because they are "afraid" they will ruin it by trying something else. In addition to technique, many fear experimenting with color and value and pick out fabrics that are only from the same line so they will go together. Experiment, have fun and have no fear.

Ignore those that say "You can't do that" or "this is the only way to do ...." These people are often referred to as "quilt police".

Expose yourself to as many different ideas about quilting as you can, go to shows, join forums, lurk quilting blogs then you can decide what style you like and want to pursue.

Most importantly (and this is from Angela Walters playbook) don't judge your results by comparing to others. There are some amazing quilt artists out there that have special talents that many of us will never achieve and likewise, some of us out there may just surpass. Judge your work on how you improve from one project to the next, not on how your work looks compared to someone else's.