Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Things a beginner should know? >
  • Things a beginner should know?

• Things a beginner should know?

Old 03-30-2018, 07:54 AM

I can only echo what others have mentioned. Don't purchase for a stash, the stash will come with leftovers from done projects. Do only what you love. Don't ever ask someone what they want. You will end up with some really weird looking things that just don't work. Again, do what you love. Don't sew for other people. I keep a stack of finished quilts, if someone wants a quilt, they get to choose from what I have not, decide what I should do.
    Old 03-30-2018, 08:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    ...........Ignore those that say "You can't do that" or "this is the only way to do ...." These people are often referred to as "quilt police"...............
    ....... also ignore those that say ...... you're not ready for that yet.

When we don't know what we don't know and can't do .....
    .............surprisingly, all too often we discover that we CAN!

Totally agree with everything else that FelineFanatic said ...
    .... just thought this part shouldn't be missed.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-30-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    Old 03-30-2018, 08:58 AM

I totally agree! What some people feel you need experience for might come very naturally to you...and what others say "are for beginners" can cause some headaches. Do what makes you happy, and even if difficult, you'll figure it out because...well....it makes you happy!

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    ....... also ignore those that say ...... you're not ready for that yet.

When we don't know what we don't know and can't do .....
    .............surprisingly, all too often we discover that we CAN!

Totally agree with everything else that FelineFanatic said ...
    .... just thought this part shouldn't be missed.
    Old 04-04-2018, 07:37 PM

--I second getting and Eleanor Burns book -- she has the best explanations.
    --I would also advise that you not try to rotary cut with a dull blade or sew with a dull needle. Clean your machine after each project (you would be surprised how much lint collects).
    --Also, if your machine needs it, oil it regularly if you sew a lot.
    --If you want to get the most out of your machine
    -- My first quilts were made before rotary cutters, but I jumped on the band wagon quickly because they make life much easier.
    --For many years I only had a rotary cutter, a 6x24 ruler and a 15" square ruler, a rotary cutter and a 24x36 mat and I could make a lot of quilts (the rulers have angles on them to cut some of the triangles). I added the Shape Cut to help me cut straight strips and then bought other notions and templates. Honestly, the Shape Cut is one of those things I use all the time.
    -- For applique, coloring books or coloring pages you can get on line are great patterns -- Dover has books with patterns that use to make fun quilting patterns.
    -- Leah Day has awesome info about free motion quilting.
    Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions on this board!!
    Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 PM

I think one of the most important tips is: Allow yourself to be human -- you are. None of us are going to create a "perfect" quilt -- we are not perfect, never will be. We should always strive for excellence and do the very best job for which we're capable of doing -- there are a multitude of beautiful quilts which are excellent examples of doing the best possible job, but we're not perfect and never will be -- we're human and we will make mistakes -- correct them if you can, but forgive yourself for being human.
    Old 04-05-2018, 08:15 PM

So much excellent advice in this thread, even for more experienced quilters. My number one bit of advice is to always remember that quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not perfect!

Things I wish I had known when I started:

No matter how pretty, do not buy cheap fabric. By this I mean thin, or loosely woven, not price-wise. I've had fabrics from quilt shops I would not use, and have even found a few gems at Walmart. It takes the same amount of time to make a quilt with decent fabric as it does with low quality fabric, but your quilt will be much more durable. And don't skimp on the thread, either.

When you find a fabulous fabric that you just must have for your stash, buy at least one coordinating fabric to go with it. I have some fabulous fabrics in my stash that I don't use because I have nothing else that matches. Better yet, avoid accumulating a stash of random fabrics to begin with.

Don't let your scraps pile up. I had boxes and boxes of scraps. For the last two years, one day a month, I spend an afternoon doing nothing but cutting scraps trying to work my way thru boxes filled with 20 years of scraps, and I still feel a little overwhelmed. Bonnie Hunter has a great scrap cutting system, and oodles of quilts you can make once you have built them up. Nickel Quilts are another great use for 5" scraps. I also have made a few scrappy backings out of nothing but 12" and/or 6" squares. Or, use use the scraps to make coordinating throw pillows or pillowcases or table runners, or attach a new border to a set of sheets to make a coordinating set.

If, for whatever reason, you're not thrilled with a quilt you've finished piecing, quilt it anyway. Use it as a backing, as a picnic quilt or an emergency quilt to keep in the trunk of the car, give it away, just don't put it aside. Some of my least favorite quilts have been the most loved by the people I have given them to. Even ugly quilts are warm!

Avoid quilting on demand. I can't count how many people have flippantly asked me when I am going to make them a quilt, mostly by people who I know will not appreciate the time, effort, and expense that goes into a quilt. Plus, nothing is fun when it is expected of you. I tend to dread working on a quilt if I am on a deadline. Only make quilts in pattern and designs that bring you joy, and give them to those that your heart tells you that they belong to.

Learn to accept compliments, and never, ever point out your mistakes when showing off your quilts. As artists, and quiltmaking is an art, we are our worst critics. Most people will never notice if your seams don't line up perfectly or your corners are slightly lopped off. Those that are so persnickety as to look at your work that carefully, don't deserve your quilts anyway! Do your best right now, and know that your best in a year will be even better. My son just brought me one of the quilts I made early on to repair, and I saw so many mistakes in it that I would not make now. But he has used it and loved it for over 15 years! My other son asked me if he could have the first quilt I machine quilted, even though the quilting ranged form poor to mediocre, because he said he was proud of me for learning something new.

Change needles and rotary blades regularly, and thoroughly clean out the dust from your machine regularly. Do not sew over pins. Store your cutting mat flat. Basting spray, spray starch, color catchers and glue sticks are godsends.
    Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 AM

cashs_mom I found it very interesting that you said to use a washable glue stick for corners/points to match. Can you give me more detail, I have never used this method before.
    Old 04-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Spend extra on quality fabrics ...makes a world of difference. I didn't and learned the hard way with Joann's lower priced fabrics....wonky and in the long run are cheap...wish I could reclaim the many at the time I gifted....ugh...how you advance with experience.
    Old 04-08-2018, 05:20 PM

I found that things didn't get done as fast as I thought and I wish I had not bought several fabrics for backings that I wasn't that happy with because still a year later I have not used them. You may also change your mind about backings, I am now looking at using flannel which I never even thought of in the beginning.
    Old 04-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Take a quick look at some sashing instructions and don't start putting it on willy-nilly like I did and had to take it off again.