Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Things that have changed in quilting >
  • Things that have changed in quilting

• Things that have changed in quilting

Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    There are still those that think if it isn't all done by hand it isn't a real quilt. At quilt shows I get many of the men who come by our table and start telling us about his grandmother, aunt, neighbor, who had the frame in the ceiling, did everything by hand and made REAL quilts. I want to say educate yourself before opening your mouth jerk. But I don't. I smile and say how nice you remembered that.
    We used to have a sewing day at our local library. Some guy came in and said sort of the same thing. OH BOY. I get to use my favorite response to that. I asked him what breed of horse he had pull his buggy. He looked at me like I was nuts. Then I ask how did you get here. Answer is some type of car, REALLY How can that be real transportation???? I always listen for his words and use them back in the response.

Last edited by luvstoquilt301; 03-29-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 AM

That's a great response luvstoquilt301!! That guy sounds like my great grandmother, she wouldn't touch the electric range or the microwave, "you can only make real food with the wood cookstove." Times change.
    Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM

Probably the most notable for me is the "100% Cotton" idea. The quilts I have from my Grandma are wool or poly blends, or what ever she had on hand. The ones I made for my kids when they were at home were made from remnants from a drapery shop- no idea what the content was, but I prewashed them and it was fine. I made other quilts and used what fabric I liked, including plush and sateen.

And why is that "bias" seems to be a dirty word now days?

And the whole "press not iron" debate, another thing I never encountered when making quilts 30 years ago.
    Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM

This is like asking me what changes in cars has there been since I learned to drive! I know some people still make quilts completely by hand just for the tradition of making quilts that way. However, I'd never give up our modern conveniences...especially my rotary cutter!
    Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 AM

I could never make do without my rotary cutter, I just can't see cutting everything out with scissors, the rotary cutter is so fast!!
    Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dodie
    .... like that now everything is in a hurry and I call it micro wave quilting Yes what changes even quilt shows are so different I do not go Once it was go to see how people could put a certain pattern together now it is to see what a computer can to
    There is a shop not far from me that has "slow quilting". Once a month people can drop in for the slow quilting group -- all hand work.

I chuckle at your comment about the computer because I have a degree in computer science and have worked for decades in the computer industry yet I have no interest in designing quilts on my computer. I use my computer in my personal life more than the average person but for some reason computer quilt design doesn't appeal to me. If others want to do it, that's great but not me.

Congratulations on having quilts at Paducah and in magazines.
    Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Unlike horse and buggy and cars, I don't believe machine quilting is a modern replacement for hand quilting. It is another method, probably a method used more often because of the time element. It also has its own look and designs. It seems to me to be very much like hand embroidery and machine embroidery. Machine embroidery is not a replacement for hand embroidery, but another method. Machine embroidery creates a look unachieveable with hand embroidery and hand embroidery has its own uniqueness. The same analogy can be made for machine knitting and hand knitting. It Is wonderful that we have new tools and methods that add to choices we have to create quilts. That being said, I wouldn't give up my rotary cutter, mats, and rulers. When I first started quilting, the batting choices were cotton or polyester. The first cotton batt I used had seed remnant lumps in it. Now we have a wide variety of batting choices.
    Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by DACO48
    I have a friend who used to make all of her templates out of old xays she got from a doctor friend.

LOL! Now that is creepy....
    Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    There are still those that think if it isn't all done by hand it isn't a real quilt. At quilt shows I get many of the men who come by our table and start telling us about his grandmother, aunt, neighbor, who had the frame in the ceiling, did everything by hand and made REAL quilts. I want to say educate yourself before opening your mouth jerk. But I don't. I smile and say how nice you remembered that.
    I KNOW! Those men drive me nuts. It's always the SAME story about the quilt frame that lowered down from the ceiling and how they learned to sew a few stitches at grandma's knee... And it's always, always older men who do this. Like they haven't seen a handmade quilt since they were a child. (Eyeroll.) LOL....
    Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 AM

I am really a newbie, I guess, but the attitudes of some folks -- well, I can't explain it, nor can I accept it. We helped our mother tie quilts when we were 10 or 12 years old. Mom didn't have a quilting frame -- we used what we had. It is amazing to watch the construction of a quilt from the beginning to completion. I'm very grateful for the advantages we have for making quilts today. At the same time, I treasure the quilts I have that my grandmother made, because I know they were "made with love". I hope the recipients of quilts I make as gifts realize that no matter how the quilt is made, it was really "made with love".