Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Think I've created a monster of a job! >
  • Think I've created a monster of a job!

• Think I've created a monster of a job!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:20 AM

I'm in the "sorted by colour" family too. If I sort by kits, then come up with a new quilt I want to make that isn't kitted, I either have to rumage through and destroy kits, or buy more. Better (I think) to kit maybe 2 or 3 favourites, but leave the rest of the fabric accessible and sorted in colour families, so you can put together a quilt when you want one. Then you just have to train yourself to shop your stash before you head to the quilt store
    Old 08-09-2015, 06:37 AM

I am currently without a sewing space since we sold our house in early July. Eventually, I will have a small, pack -up -able space in the family cottage here in Maine and a larger space in Florida. Your posts have made me think that I'll need kits for Maine and most of the stash in Florida where my storage will be better. I'd love to make pillowcases for Maine to use up my lodge-y fabric quickly and put it to practical use. Until I can sew again, I'm am working on really simple, mindless knitting some of which will go into raffle baskets for my quilt guild. Thanks for getting me thinking!
    Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 AM

I think it's funny how we all have the monster come out every now and then. Someone on this board had a nice pattern from a magazine (I think in 1982). SO, I started looking thru my "organized" magazines for that pattern. I realized it was not organized at all...just put in bags by magazine name. So, my monster came out when I decided to enter all the magazines (AND the patterns included in the magazine) into a spreadsheet by year, by magazine title, by type (applique, patchwork), size and whether I liked the pattern or not.......WHAT an undertaking! I just finished yesterday and even though the rest of the house is a mess.....I do have some satisfaction in getting this done. At least I know what I have. It also helped me realized that I probably don't need to subscribe to any more magazines......I have made only about 5 quilts from all those magazines (dating back to 1976)!

So, even though I'm too tired to cook.......I can always muster up energy to "organize"! Thanks for helping me realize I'm not alone!
    Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 AM

I had to set myself down in the middle of what seemed like a zillion projects in various stages of completion. I sorted them as to which one was needed next-got out the calender to see what special occasions were coming up- for me it was a baby quilt for my younger sisters 1st grand baby due in 3 wks. I kind of had to be really be stern with myself because while doing this other project ideas would pop into my head. So I grounded myself==NO new projects till these are all finished. I only have 1 UFO left to finish but it will have to wait til I have more reasons to make the 100 mile round trip to JoAnn's to purchase more fabric. I have the scraps in a zippy bag in my purse so I don't forget them.
    Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 AM

I get such a chuckle out of reading this thread. We all have monsters, and they seem to share DNA. My monster is fickle; sometimes it takes the form of overthinking the organization (sort by lights or darks? Well , dark is relative to other tones... sort into strips and squares or leave as large as possible even though I just ironed it? ...sort by warms or cools ...no ,because a yellow is warm but often works great with purples and blues...) OY OY OY.

Some call it analyis paralysis.

Other times my monster goes by the name Willy (last name Nilly) .

My monster is a pilot--pile it here, pile it there. Pile to give away, pile to keep, pile to sort, pile to iron, pile to wash...

And my monster is extremely fertile, enjoying God's command to "be fruitful and multiply."
    Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 AM

Zozee: That sure describes my monsters!

Connie
    Old 08-09-2015, 12:42 PM

You are so right! I recently had a friend stay in my "guest room" which is also my sewing room, so everything got organized and put up. What a mess. Now I have category totes like batiks, 30's, prints, ufo's. Of course whenever I work on a project they get all messed up again. The greatest thing I ever did for "treasures" was to write a list of UFO's to accomplish. If I wanted to do something and didn't know what, I looked over my list. But right now I need to make another list.
    Old 08-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Yes, as a matter of fact I do right now. Last month my younger sister and her hubby moved back to Oregon from Texas, my daughter and her fianc'e are here while thieir house is finished, so instead of two here there are now six. My sewing storage room currently has a queen air bed, for DS& hubby, and my sewing room itself has a double air bed for DD & fianc'e. Meanwhile I am just dreaming up new patterns to try because my sewing machine is currently on the "headboard". Lol!
    Old 08-09-2015, 05:54 PM

I have found that the secret to the mending pile is that "if you wait long enough, everyone outgrows the clothing and you don't have to mend it! " Works for me except for my skinny DH..darn!

As far as company is concerned...my quilting room has to be totally rearranged...Have to hide the pins and scissors from the kids---so it takes me weeks to find things again!

I LOVE having friends and relatives stay here but HATE having to put everything away (I lose things) and then HATE hauling everything out again....
    Think I could be a hermit!

Last edited by sailsablazin; 08-09-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM

I'm "feeling" this thread--working on trying to get some things finished and piles put away so I can at least see the spare bed in my sewing room--and also trying to find the new 1/4" walking foot I bought about 2 months ago for my Elna--I'd been looking for it for several days and found it! And also can see about 1/2 of the top of the bed! Yea! Will admit that part of the cleaning was to move the things to be quilted to my basement where the LA is--so now it's cluttered--oh well!