Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Think I've created a monster of a job! >
  • Think I've created a monster of a job!

• Think I've created a monster of a job!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM

I life alone with 2 dogs and 2 cats in a 2 bedroom cottage. Over the years the cottage as become my sewing rooms. It started with keep fit, sewing machine bedroom two cutting board in dining room and ironing in the kitchen. Slowly stash and notions and projects and sewing spread. I need to give at least the living room just to hand sewing and take out the sewing machines. The kitchen and bedroom are sew free areas. Ironing in dining room . The animals never complain just snuggle and love.
    wish I had a neat freak friend coming I might get going but ................my mess will remain waiting for organisation bug to bite.
    Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 AM

My sewing room is so bad that that I hate to go in there. It was once an escape from everyday life but now, like you say it's a monster! My husband has been so bold as to ask be if I could get rid of about half of the fabric!!! I just looked at him and laughed. Our guild is having a garage sale in October, so I'm going to start packing up kits and fabric for that. Might even get a little money out of it, who knows? Have to finish up 3 quilts for the seniors heading off to college that go to my church then I will face this head on.
    Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

I am using up some of my scrap pieces. Of course that makes more scraps. I have given up on trying to use them up. I know that is impossible. I am making quilts to donate for Christmas giving for people needing something to keep them warm.
    Old 08-10-2015, 06:44 AM

My lurking monster is my scrap bag. Last year I spent a week cutting scraps into usable pieces, and my scrap bag was empty. Now a year later it has again grown into an unmanagable mess. This winter I guess I'll spend a month cutting up scraps again.
    Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

Finally got the fabric together for my family's projects/kits. Put them into 14x 14 project clear containers with names, pattern and the fabric. I put due dates on them. This helped so much even put the tools in the containers. These containers are 3" high and I got 3 kits in the bottom drawer of my desk cabinet of my 401. Couple repairs in a small laundry basket. The repairs are in old pillow cases with notes pinned. That way I can just grab the pillow case and go at it. It does make things look neater and all in one spot. Since the pillowcases are old, it's ok if they happen to fade.
    Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM

I make periodic attempts at getting organized and having it all picture perfect.... I will let you know when I succeed, it may be on my tombstone "she tried".
    Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM
    Power Poster

This all sounds a bit scary to me! I've never had my own room and keep only a small stash. We are moving to a house where I will have my own room to sew plus a big basement with a workbench for my vintage sewing machine habit and I think I will spread my stuff out so I can see it and only bring to the sewing room what I am working on. The basement won't flood and has a door and window so it isn't gloomy. Do y'all think this is a good plan?
    Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I make periodic attempts at getting organized and having it all picture perfect.... I will let you know when I succeed, it may be on my tombstone "she tried".
    Mine will say "she had dreams of quilts" lol! (Yard sale to follow....)