Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For those with kids...when do you sew? >
  • For those with kids...when do you sew?

• For those with kids...when do you sew?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM

I had two sons 22 months apart and I was a SAHM. But I sewed all the time. My mother had sewed with us around as well, so it didn't seem unusual to me. The boys kept themselves entertained with coloring books, and toys right under my feet and sewing machine. I just learned to step high and carefully when I moved around. I could not have worked a full time job outside the home and still sewed. I went to work when the youngest was in kindergarden and stopped sewing then. Raising kids didn't make me overly tired, but spending a full day with petty adults wore me out.
    Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM

My youngest is 4 and my oldest is 15, so if my youngest isn't sitting on my lap or next to me working on his own little project, I have no problem paying the oldest to babysit for a bit.
    My 4 yr old loves cutting up paper or my fabric scraps...that can keep him busy for a long time. It can be messy, but so worth it.
    Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM

I can only say I quilted before my son,not as much during his formative years,hardly any in his elementary and junior high,then more and more as he didn't need mom as much,now that he is 18 it's all quilting time for me now,so we end up giving up what we like to do for what we are blessed to do then we get back what we like to do.
    Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM

I sew when the boys have gone to bed and sunday afternoons (extra daddy time)
    Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM

I have 4 under 5, it is tough trying to get any time to myself to brush my hair let alone do any quilting. So basically the way it is now, when I do the washing - I wash some of my new fabric, then when the eldest is a school and the other 3 are having a nap, I have about 30 minutes of me time to do some cutting and sew a little, I literally sewed only pieces together yesterday and think that is brilliant- hahha, at this rate it will take me years to get a quilt finished.
    Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM

try giving her little pieces of different fabrics and let her sit by you and play with them, putting them together in different ways.

K
    Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 AM

Have five kids--all grown and out of the house, thank goodness. However, when my daughter was 18 months old, I was cutting out a garment and to keep her out of my way, I gave her a hunk of fabric and several pins. Watched her with one eye while I cut. She pinned and pinned, loved it and never stuck herself as I showed her how sharp they were. Kathryn made her first quilt at 5. At 11 she was in a woman's painting class as a student, but teaching the other ladies when they had a problem. Cost $20,000 to put her through design school. But she's now a head designer for a company that makes clothing for police, swat, firefighters and making big money. She has worked for most name brand companies you would recognize. Nike for 12 years.
    So, if you think it's too much trouble to watch your little ones pin, pin, pin, think of something else they can do to feel as if they are helping--they are. Who knows where it will lead.
    SandyQuilter
    Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM

While I worked on something else, I let her sew.....She already knew how to put the fabric under the foot and lower it without me showing her. She did have trouble pressing the pedal but she finally got it going.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Its been many years since I had small ones around when I was sewing. I used to sew while they were in school, yes I was a stay at home mother. Then I would sew in the evenings when they were all tucked in usually from about 9 till 11pm. Now a days I just have to make sure my hubby doesnt feel neglected as I am retired. There was a 25 year period there when I didnt sew at all, too busy returning to college, and running a business. Making up for lost time now tho.
    Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM

My children are all grown now, I do miss them, too. I know when mine was little and running around my feet I had to sew when I could, in the evening when they were asleep or when I could but certainly didn't have the freedom that I do now. You will have to find the time that works for you. Good luck.