Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >
  • Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

• Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM

You can get a print of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" at Wal Mart (or the like) but its not quite the same as the one of a kind hand painted original - is it?
    Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 AM
    RDM

I get the comments on why would you cut up fabric just to sew it into "new fabric". People who do not create with their hands can't understand what joy the process itself can be. Many think quilts are primative, if they only saw the variety of what is artfully created they'd be amazed.
    Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 AM

I just started quilting this year (i am 76) though I have been "sewing" since big enough to hold a needle. Now my daughter and HER daughter are starting. we are doing the mystery quilt in this month's McCalls. Will be fun to see the choices of material. Mine is gong to be in reds. (I love red..lol) Maybe we will trade at the end.
    Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dyan
    A woman once told me "you could snag your toenail on those stitches" I had showed her a quilt I had lap quilted, I was proud but she shot me down quick. I still hand quilt and Yep you could still snag your toenail...lol Family and friends do not complain.
    She needs to cut her toenails. LOL
    Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM

There was an article in our paper about a local quilting group which stated that those who do traditional quilts are crafters, not artists.
    Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 AM

After reading through this thread I wish people would more often live by the saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". There are plenty of quilts (and other things) that I do not like, but I can usually find something nice to say - and if I really can't I don't say anything at all.

As for the quality of hand crafted items vs. store bought; boy is there a difference! Wool sweaters bought at a store usually last me about a year, maybe 2 if I an lucky. But I have a hand-knitted sweater that my grandmother made for my mother about 30 years ago and I can still wear it today! (I have 'borrowed' it from my mother's closet the day I got to be the same size as her, and 'forgot' to give it back - she didn't wear it anymore). And I have never seen my grandmother happier than the first time she saw me wearing it!
    Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM

I have been lucky. My family and my DH family are proud of my quilting.My DD on the other hand had a friend tell her that she was to young to be making quilts.My DD asked "how old do you have to be" and her friend said "you know old" My DD thought that was funny.
    Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Default quotes about quilting...

I always think people who make stupid remarks like those mentioned, and others, are probably jealous. That, AND wouldn't know which end of a needle to use if someone handed them one.
    Also, some people don't have the manners to know what to say and what not to say to other people about hobbies, crafts,talents, ect.
    It is too bad some people are so stupid and unknowing.
    Mariah
    Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM

I remember being in a fabric store a few years ago. A lady was heading back to the quilting section and her husband was dragging along behind saying, "if he needs a blanket, why don't you just buy him one" I smiled at her and she rolled her eyes.
    Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 PM

When I make a quilt for someone in the family I just wait for the ax to fall while holding my breath. You know we all must be crazy because we keep going back for more! I have great friends that love my quilts it is the family that are idiots.