Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Those tied rolled up remnant bundles >
  • Those tied rolled up remnant bundles

• Those tied rolled up remnant bundles

Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 AM

My mother rolled her scraps into a tight roll and tied it with the selvedge strip. Believe me they didn't go anywhere and when she used them in quilts it took a lot of "sprinkling" with water and a very hot iron to get the creases out!
    Old 06-01-2014, 04:06 AM

On a different note. I recently discovered that my neighbor, who makes clothes for her granddaughter from time to time throws away all her leftover scraps. I was shocked and asked for them. She declined
    Old 06-01-2014, 04:13 AM

I hope we all know enough now not to put pins in our leftover scrap fabric bundles (they rust) or rubber bands either (they disintegrate and get gunky, leaving gunk on the fabric). Ask me how I know. LOL
    I rolled the fabric from my sewing projects since I was about 11 years old making stuff for myself, my sisters, and some friends. I had a wash basket full of these in 1990, and decided to "get rid of them" by making a quilt or two. Ha, ha! So now I have many more "wash baskets" full of fabric. There is always just more and more.
    Old 06-01-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137
    *** My Mom used some of them for contrasting trim or pockets on our dresses.
    *** She also made panties to go under the dresses if there was a large enough scrap.
    OMGsh! What a flashback!! That's what my mom did, too. She also made clothes for our dolls.
    Old 06-01-2014, 05:06 AM

I just finished ironing all those scraps back to my great grandma! Boxes and boxes of them. All the smaller scraps have been cut into different sized squares... The less than FQ and larger pieces are neatly stacked waiting to be cut up and FQ size are now on my shelves. It has taken weeks.. I have made a memory quilt for my grandaughter and Mom and more in progress...
    Old 06-01-2014, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom
    On a different note. I recently discovered that my neighbor, who makes clothes for her granddaughter from time to time throws away all her leftover scraps. I was shocked and asked for them. She declined
    Wonder why she said no?
    Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 AM

Yep, mine did and I had forgotten all about that. Nice jog to my memory.
    Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Do any of the rest of you remember your Moms rolling up the leftovers from cutting out a garment and tying them with a long strip of leftover fabric?

Now I am wondering - whatever did Mom do with them all? She saved almost every little smidge of leftover fabric. I don't recall coming across many of them when we went through her stuff after she died.

She made many lap quilts for nearby nursing homes, but she usually used fairly large pieces of fabric in those projects.
    Oh my! I thought my mom was the only one who did that! Mom was a talented seamstress and I inherited her fabric remnants, some of them rolled up. I washed all the fabric, some of which needed to be in mesh bags. Believe it or not, I'm now working on using up the last of those after having made nine "memory" lap quilts for myself, my sisters, and my nieces. I didn't concern myself too much about fabric content, although most were cotton, with blends and some poly. The quilts turned out nice and laundered well. All recipients love their quilts and having a little bit of mom to cuddle up under.
    Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM

This is interesting! My mom didn't do this; would any of you who have bundled fabric scraps care to post pictures? It does seem like a good way to keep scraps together.
    Old 06-01-2014, 11:06 AM

My grandmothers and mother sewed but never kept all the scraps, wish they had.