Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Those Twin needles? What to do... >
  • Those Twin needles? What to do...

• Those Twin needles? What to do...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM

I've used them numerous times, 1/8 in bias, queen quilt that had a busy design for backing.I the was pleased with all the results. Do try them out.
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

another use for your twin needle is doing stained glass applique, instead of zig-zagging your black (leading) bias you can use the twin needle and stitch down both sides of the bias tape with a straight stitch
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM

I use them on a lot of fleece jackets and garments for the grandkids. They make a nice finish
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

I've used a twin needle for topstitching but the only ones I can find are the really narrow ones. What brand sells a 4 mm one?
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
    I used twin needles for sewing down the bias on a stained glass wall hanging. This was the first time I ever used this type of needle and I broke 3 sets - UGH! After losing $15, I decided to try again and went real slow. I managed to finish the wall hanging but decided I will zig zag my bias down from now on. May not look as pretty, but at least I don't break expensive needles!
    i had the same problem. found out it was the invisible thread i was trying to use. they worked fine on regular thread but the invisible would break needles and mess up on the back. so i just use a regular needle and sew each side if i must use the invisible. on anything i can match, i will use regular sewing thread.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM

I have used them for quilting on several baby quilts - I actually didn't mind the zigzag on the back. I've got twin needles in about 4 or 5 different widths - they are really fun.

Now pictures would be nice, eh? :) I'm looking through my photos and realizing I never stopped to take any!
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM

I use them to sew on either side of bias binding so that it looks like you have done a cover stitch. Also for pin tucks, decorative stitches and when hemming up jeans - again so that it looks like a cover stitch.
    I have one that has a wing needle on one side and a straight needle on the other = gives good hemming effects.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

If your machine takes a twin needle, I'm betting that your owners manual will tell you exactly how to use it AND will probably show some examples as well. My Janome 6500 does and the results are really neat. Really makes nice decoration on pillowcases. Haven't used it on a quilt yet but after all "so many things to try--too many quilts to make"!
    Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    But how is it used? Two reels of thread or one thread put through both needles?

Help!!!

Hugs
    You use two reels of thread and thread both through the same areas until you get to the thread guides just above the needles. there is usually a thread guide on the left and the right for this purpose. Put one thread through the right guide and into the right needle and one in the left guide and thread the left needle. The bobbin thread zig zags between the two needles. Make sure that there is enough room for the twin needles to work without hitting the needle plate by turning the hand wheel slowly through the whole sequence of the stitch. If it bumps the plate, adjust the width of the stitch.If you do pin tucks you usually have a pin - tuck attachment to make the ridges of material stick up so you can sew either side with the double needle.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM

When I was a little girl, most of my dresses had pintucks somewhere on them & my mother didn't have one of those twin needles, she did it by hand. The twin needle comes in handy if you do machine applique. Just practice with it a little before you use it...it takes patience.