Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam) >
  • For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

• For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by DeneK
    Agree with what everyone else said. Depends on what I am working on and how far off the seams are. And I try to sew patterns that allow me to measure and trim often.

Like you, I am getting better. But perfection takes too much time/energy, and reworking to attain perfection isn't any fun. So I just try to be as careful and accurate as I can without obsessing about it. After all I do this for enjoyment.
    Me too:-)
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 AM

A few months ago I took a precision piecing class from a gal from my guild. She had us buy 'Sally Collins, Mastering Precision Piecing,' book. It is an excellent book on how to get all of your seams acurate. The class went from 9am to about 3pm and we all came out with a perfect 3" block. One of the things she told us is to slow down, don't sew so fast. Also, when your seam isn't a perfect 1/4" unsew it and do it again. I also bought Sally Collins CD and watched it, there are a lot of really good tips on it. I just pieced a little quilt top for my grandson, he's turning 2 on the 29th, and some of the blocks are 4-3 1/2" squares sewen together. All of my seams matched up perfectly. I found that very rewarding.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

I didn't realize just how far off I was making my own quilts, but when doing one at our quilt club, we were to make 6 1/2" squares, and mine ended up 6". Big difference in little squares. So I bought a 1/4" foot. I LOVE IT. and now I can see how far off I really was. For me it was a good investment.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM

An ongoing issue for me too. What I do when intersections don't match up depends on what I'm making (on a small wallhanging where it was very obvious, I ripped and re-sewed) and, frankly, how noticeable it will be. Often I just leave it as is if it won't throw something else off.

I've been working on my second recent quilt from a simple pattern called Cheaper by the Dozen that is all rectangles. I've had a little trouble with matches so I've started matching up the intersections then sewing just an inch or so at each intersection then check to be sure whether I have a match...if not, then I can rip it out quickly. If it matches, I don't need to pin it and go ahead and sew the entire seam. Seems to work for me...at least this week! Anita
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
    I'm not perfect that's for sure. I try and pin my seams to match and if there is a little extra fabric in between I work it in when sewing the seam, or I stretch just a teeny bit, then I hope for the best.
    Ditto!!
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Ditto

Originally Posted by S D G
    It depends, some times it is to far off then I have to take the seam out. If it is really close I will work the extra fabric in if I can. Believe me I am a expert ripper.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by DeneK
    Agree with what everyone else said. Depends on what I am working on and how far off the seams are. And I try to sew patterns that allow me to measure and trim often.

Like you, I am getting better. But perfection takes too much time/energy, and reworking to attain perfection isn't any fun. So I just try to be as careful and accurate as I can without obsessing about it. After all I do this for enjoyment.
    Ditto. BrendaK
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm much better at the 1/4 inch seam since I bought a foot that has a metal piece that won't let me go further!! Helps a ton
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM

I can't make a perfect 1/4" seam or do it while putting the sewing machine's pedal to the metal. lol.

When I started I found that if I positioned my needle to the right rather than the middle the distance between the needle and the edge of the walking foot was 1/4". Only later did I find that I was kind of doing the opposite of a scant 1/4"---instead of being a few threads width shorter than a 1/4" it was a few threads width larger than a 1/4". So ever since I've been marking my 1/4" seams on my pieces and then sewing along the line I marked. Its a little bit better because sometimes when I was following the edge of the walking foot my piece would shift and veer off and I don't do that quite as often following the line. Its a lot of work just to get a decent seam.
    Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 AM

No two fabrics stretch the same way...I try to be consistent, and if I'm not I unsew and try again. After the third try I toss it and begin again! I guess that's what "practice" is all about. I always try and please myself first...if I can live with it...then ok.