Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam) >
  • For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

• For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have made myself sew the same width seam for all piecing. I don' know if it is a true 1/4" but as long as all the seams are the same it works. I use a 1/4 foot with metal guide and the Angler is a great help.
    Hi - Can you please tell me what the Angler is? Thanks!
    Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 AM

I do all of those!

Originally Posted by Homemother
    Ok ok ok. I've been working on my 1/4" seam and getting closer to an accurate and consistent seam. But....as it comes about, I continue to be a little off. :oops:

My question is, when you are trying to match seams and are a little off, what do you do? Do you take a pinch in near the end of the seam, do you stretch the fabric, do you close your eyes and pretend it's not there, do you let out the opposing seam?

Ladies and gents, if you are perfect and this never happens to you, please don't tell me so, because it will make me feel REALLY bad. :cry: ;)

I'm making my first bargello and, LO AND BEHOLD, some of my pieces are not matching up. Not sure how to proceed. Any hints?

THANK YOU QUILTING BOARD!!!
    Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM

I line my seams with the pressure foot, gives consistent seams. Maybe not exactly 1/4 inch, but, pretty darn close. I do all the same way and seams look great to me
    Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 AM

glad to know there are so many others that are there along with me !!
    Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

I try to ease it in or go back and redo it.
    Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM

It is called easing....we all do it, a bit of a stretch here and there. Pinning at important intersections, using a walking foot and easing too short pieces work OK. If one piece is too long put it on the bottom next to the feed dogs...remember to always sew with baggy bottoms. Some times I will sew down a long seam halfway and then up from the bottom for the other half. However the thing that works the most is using a walking foot, especially on long seams like borders.
    Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM

One hint a quilter gave me was to put the longest piece on the bottom and then you can pull a little on the top piece and it will stretch a little so you can even out the squares. If all else fails i just cut the extra off if it helps to keep seams meeting perfectly.
    Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
    I pin a lot on tiny pieces - pin both sides of the seam intersection. Stretch a little, then go for it!

I do like my seams to match, so if the problem is big enough to see from a distance, I rip. If I can't see it unless I look hard for it, I leave it alone. In other words, if some are a scooch off, I close my eyes. I just did my first Bargello recently, and a few of the seams were a bit off. I was in a really big hurry to get it done, so I just squinted and kept sewing! Guess what? The person who received it as a gift, was thrilled. I don't think she noticed the off center seams at all.

Please post pictures of your progress! I am getting ready to try a bigger Bargello now that I got my feet wet with a table runner, and would love to see what you are doing.
    Wish I thought about taking pics throughout the progress! Good idea, but too late for me. I'm going to post a picture of the finished quilt when I'm done and the title will be something like: My Practice Bargello. Hint: it's blue-ish!
    Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    When sewing pieces together, I pin at the intersections and check if they match. If one side is a little longer than the other, I put the longer edge on the bottom by the feed dogs. I don't know why but the feed dogs tend to "eat" the extra fabric faster than the top fabric and the seams usually match.
    This is what my first quilting teacher taught us to do, also.
    Even with that , some of the seams on the quilt I'm currently working on were still off a little. I decided just to proceed and hope that by the time I'm finished with FMQ and then wash it, it won't be noticable. If I would have re-done every single thing, I would have never been done and probably thrown it away!
    Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM

LOL I purposely planned my first quilt that way so I didn't have to worry about it!

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    If you off set your vertical pieces by 1/2 block then you don't have to worry at all if your seams match up. See picture below.