Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • for those who use GLIDE thread >
  • for those who use GLIDE thread

• for those who use GLIDE thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Question for those who use GLIDE thread

Do you use regular quilting needles or change to an embroidery needle due to the silkiness of the thread? I haven't been able to successfully use it in my mid-arm (Bernina 820QE) it shreds, and I was thinking on my drive to work today that maybe an embroidery needle would solve my problem.

I bought a bunch of GLIDE online and don't want to waste it.

thanks!
    Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM

I have not changed needles when going from 50wt to glide if that is any help to you
    Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
    Power Poster

make sure you are using the correct size needle for the weight of thread--- a needle that is too small for the weight will fray and break. if you visit the web site for Superior Threads they have charts (free) that you can print off & have for reference that tells you what needle to use with what thread & what applications the different thread are good for- also explains the differences in needles...it is a very good reference tool to have.
    Old 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM

I have had no trouble with Glide. I use a #16 needle in my HQ 16.
    Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
    Power Poster

My Voyager midarm loves Glide thread -- never any shredding or breaking (unlike King Tut, CT polyester, and other threads). I have used it successfully with both a #16 needle and a #18 needle.

One thing that comes to mind is that you may need to change your tension settings. Although this Youtube video is aimed at longarms, the information seems to work for any machine used for free-motion quilting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
    Once I set my tensions as he suggests (I could not get my bobbin tension as low as he recommends; the screw fell out first!), I have had zero problems frame quilting with my Voyager.
    Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    My Voyager midarm loves Glide thread -- never any shredding or breaking (unlike King Tut, CT polyester, and other threads). I have used it successfully with both a #16 needle and a #18 needle.

One thing that comes to mind is that you may need to change your tension settings. Although this Youtube video is aimed at longarms, the information seems to work for any machine used for free-motion quilting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
    Once I set my tensions as he suggests (I could not get my bobbin tension as low as he recommends; the screw fell out first!), I have had zero problems frame quilting with my Voyager.
    Prism99, I also have the Voyager and just picked up a bunch of Glide thread and bobbins at the Houston show. Glad to hear it works well in your Voyager! I'm looking forward to trying it out, and thanks for the tip that it works well with different needles.
    Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM

I use it with a #16 or #18 and have had no problems.....
    Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 PM
    Power Poster

The other thing I am wondering is -- how is the thread feeding? Looking at a photo of a Bernina 820qu, I am thinking that the Glide may feed better if you place it in a jar behind your machine before running it through the threading loop. On my Bernina 1230 (and also for the bobbin winder for my Voyager), I found that I need to use the Superior Threads thread stand to feed Glide thread. Here is a link to the thread stand I use:
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...thread-holder/
    (I do not need the thread stand for my Voyager because the thread travels quite a ways straight up before it goes through the first threading loop. I use it only for the separate bobbin winder, and for use in my domestic machine.)
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM

I,ve heard nothing but good things about this glide thread where do buy it ,I have brought several brand name thread and I really don,t like them ,my sewing machine gets a lot of lent ,thinking of giving glide a try
    Old 12-04-2013, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

I buy Glide from this website: http://www.bobbincentral.com/